OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked into a Kalk Stirrer? Kalk is dirt cheap and the stirrer from Avast Marine is just over 200 bucks. Unless you have or are planning on having a high demand tank...take a look. Only downside of a Kalk Stirrer is if your evaporation rate is too low to accommodate the Kalk dosing needs or if your Alk and Ca uptake is more than your kalk stirrer can put out (see point 1)
Yes I have thought about it! I’ve heard good things about avast products and was planning to utilize that for the ph offset that a calcium reactor makes! To be completely honest, in all the research I’ve done, I kinda skipped over kalkwasser because I didn’t realize the benefits that it could bring! If it’s not too much to ask, could you enlighten me a little bit on it’s uses?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have thought about it! I’ve heard good things about avast products and was planning to utilize that for the ph offset that a calcium reactor makes! To be completely honest, in all the research I’ve done, I kinda skipped over kalkwasser because I didn’t realize the benefits that it could bring! If it’s not too much to ask, could you enlighten me a little bit on it’s uses?
Kalkwasser provides Alk and Ca in the appropriate proportions. It is just a method that works for moderate needs tanks. Just like a calcium reactor or 2 part, Kalk provides what every good coral needs for the skeletons. Just like the fluent from a calcium reactor, the fluent from a kalk reactor raises the levels to replace consumed alk and ca. The mechanics are VERY similiar. Probably the only REAL drawback on a kalk reactor is that there is a certain level where the kalk reactor becomes saturated and you cannot dose enough kalk because the tank is not evaporating enough water whereas a calcium reactor can have a high concentration of 'stuff' and doesnt need a high evaporation rate. (i am sure there are some other points..but I think this is the biggest one)

OP
OP
MooreReefing

MooreReefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser provides Alk and Ca in the appropriate proportions. It is just a method that works for moderate needs tanks. Just like a calcium reactor or 2 part, Kalk provides what every good coral needs for the skeletons. Just like the fluent from a calcium reactor, the fluent from a kalk reactor raises the levels to replace consumed alk and ca. The mechanics are VERY similiar. Probably the only REAL drawback on a kalk reactor is that there is a certain level where the kalk reactor becomes saturated and you cannot dose enough kalk because the tank is not evaporating enough water whereas a calcium reactor can have a high concentration of 'stuff' and doesnt need a high evaporation rate. (i am sure there are some other points..but I think this is the biggest one)
Got it! Thank you for the reply! I always like to learn about new things and this hobby seems to bring that in bulk! So kalkwasser is more dependent on the evaporation rate of your aquarium to apply it’s benefits and kind of has a cap as well as being a cheaper means of entry, whereas a calcium reactor is more expensive at entry but does not rely on evaporation to manage the levels in your tank and can apply benefits at most demand levels! Hopefully I absorbed that correctly!

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! Thank you for the reply! I always like to learn about new things and this hobby seems to bring that in bulk! So kalkwasser is more dependent on the evaporation rate of your aquarium to apply it’s benefits and kind of has a cap as well as being a cheaper means of entry, whereas a calcium reactor is more expensive at entry but does not rely on evaporation to manage the levels in your tank and can apply benefits at most demand levels! Hopefully I absorbed that correctly!
I am sure there is some pedantic reefer out there that is going to say SOMETHING..but I am willing to say yes.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back