When should I add fish?

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When should I add a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, six line wrasse to my tank it is already cycled because last week it read 0 on all my ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. And should I add the three all at once?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When should I add a yellow tang, lawnmower blenny, six line wrasse to my tank it is already cycled because last week it read 0 on all my ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. And should I add the three all at once?
If your tank is cycled it should show measurable nitrates not a 0 reading. Then typically a good water change at the completion of the cycle.

How did you cycle your tank?

Upvote 0

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As much as you want to add things to your tank, now is critical to take your time. 1 month of patience now removes multiple months of headaches later.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is cycled it should show measurable nitrates not a 0 reading. Then typically a good water change at the completion of the cycle.

If you’re reading zero nitrates now is not the time to add anything other than some source of ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle .
As much as you want to add things to your tank, now is critical to take your time. 1 month of patience now removes multiple months of headaches later.
well that’s strange it has been two months with my tank up and running and I used two clown along with Dr. Tim’s benificial bacteria and at one point they all went up but now they all read 0 ppm.

Upvote 0

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find with time the 65 a little small but I say you will be fine adding those fish. Thats not much of a bioload just watch the ammonia and make sure your bacteria can handle it. You may want to have some microbacter7 on hand to add if needed but after 2 months you have bacteria

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you’re reading zero nitrates now is not the time to add anything other than some source of ammonia to start the nitrogen cycle .
What size is the tank?
How long has it been set up?
What process did you use to cycle?
Live rock or dry rock?
Actually never mind on the nitrate it was reading 5 ppm I was wrong with that when I posted sorry and is that a normal nitrate

Upvote 1
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be fine as long as the yellow tang is not a large one. If its like one from Biota 2" or so you will have no problem
Yeah it is the small one from Biota because I couldn’t afford to pay the price of the ones captured from the sea which yesterday I saw was $550

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
6 line can go in but not the best first fish due to territorial tendencies and both lawnmower and tang Not good first fish until tank has seeded and stabilized with potential for spikes and chemistry changes
Adding three will place a load on denitrifying bacteria which may not be handled well.
How did you cycle and for how long? Did you add ammonia chloride or other to raise ammonia and monitor a drop ?

Upvote 0

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A sixline wrasse is aggressive, so it should be one of the last fish added, and benefits from a mature tank with plenty of pods.

A lawnmower blenny should go into an established tank with plenty of algae, as should the tang, though you probably shouldn't put a yellow tang in a 65gal.

Really, none of those fish should be first into this tank. Are you planning on any other fish? Maybe something non-picky like a damsel or clown?

Upvote 0

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back