When to add aggressive tangs to established tank?

RiceKrispy Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 21, 2020
Messages
210
Reaction score
466
Location
Dallas, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Does anyone have experience with adding juvenile more aggressive tangs to an already established tank? If so how did that pan out? Any tips or tricks? Specifically a clown tang? Am I just pressing my luck by adding one?

I have a 300 gallon mixed reef with a Sohal tang, purple tang, tomini, juvenile hippo, and Atlantic blue. I am always seeing deals for clown tangs but rarely ever see anyone keeping one in a reef tank!
 
I have a Clown Tang in my 240 gal. He was the last Tang added, and for good reason. Forthe first 6 months he was great. Then he turned into a jerk. He goes after Angels 3 times his size. My advice is to use an acclimation box when you first add him, and make him the last Tang (ideally the last fish) that you add. And watch out for the interaction between the Sohal and the Clown. Those are two very similar Acanthurus Tangs.
 
ad them last, put up a mirror to distract and have them in an acclimation box at first.

other thing is change up the rock work if possible when you let it out of the acclimation box. makes everyone find a new home
 
I have a Clown Tang in my 240 gal. He was the last Tang added, and for good reason. Forthe first 6 months he was great. Then he turned into a jerk. He goes after Angels 3 times his size. My advice is to use an acclimation box when you first add him, and make him the last Tang (ideally the last fish) that you add. And watch out for the interaction between the Sohal and the Clown. Those are two very similar Acanthurus Tangs.
Thanks for the advice. I am just worried that a clown tang would throw off the balance of the tank. Right now the shoal doesn't go after any of the other fish and is the boss. We always see clown tangs available for sale at such low prices and they are a beautiful fish, but I never see anyone keeping them for more than a year or two.
 
ad them last, put up a mirror to distract and have them in an acclimation box at first.

other thing is change up the rock work if possible when you let it out of the acclimation box. makes everyone find a new home
Sounds like a plan. I just don't think I can pull the trigger given what I have heard about the clown tangs as they get older.
 
Thanks for the advice. I am just worried that a clown tang would throw off the balance of the tank. Right now the shoal doesn't go after any of the other fish and is the boss. We always see clown tangs available for sale at such low prices and they are a beautiful fish, but I never see anyone keeping them for more than a year or two.
I’ve had mine for a few years now. He’s doubled in size during that time. He’s beautiful and healthy but I’m not sure I’d get him again. He’s by far the most aggressive fish in an already aggressive system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new