When to add salt?

MostlyScoobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive yet to fill my aquarium but im about to. I was wondering; if im not adding fish or anything to the tank yet, can i just add the salt directly into the tank and mix it there instead of in a bucket? i dont have anything big enough to hold 23g of water, and if im adding salt to every bucket dose it would take days to fill the tank as the salt needs many hours to dissolve... if i cant do that, what do you suggest?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is nothing in your tank, you can add the salt directly to your tank.

Once you start to populate your tank, you Cannot add salt directly to you tank.

OP
OP
MostlyScoobi

MostlyScoobi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is nothing in your tank, you can add the salt directly to your tank.

Once you start to populate your tank, you Cannot add salt directly to you tank.
I have put in some dry rock and gravel, is it okay for that to be in there when adding salt directly?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put in some dry rock and gravel, is it okay for that to be in there when adding salt directly?
no, I wouldn't. the tank should be empty to ensure that all salt is properly mixed and dissolved.

EDIT: most people with small tanks use a 5 gallon bucket and powerhead/heater to mix the salt then add to tank. You will eventually need those 5 gallon buckets, might as well get them

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's fine. Just remember to keep track of how much water you add to the tank, as the volume of water you add would be different from your actual tank volume. And then add salt based on how much water you added, rather than tank volume. Jotting down how much water you added somewhere would also be good long term, for if/when you ever need it for any sort of calculation. Like if you'd dose ammonium chloride.

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed salt and water in tank before with rock and it worked fine for me. Just add slow and give extra time to ensure it is all mixed in.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if im adding salt to every bucket dose it would take days to fill the tank as the salt needs many hours to dissolve... if i cant do that, what do you suggest?

Salt should be dissolved and thoroughly mixed in 15-30 minutes at most. What led you to believe it takes hours?

Warmer water works a little faster but even cold room temperature water will dissolve the salt quickly.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given enough tome it will all dissolve. The salt can’t hide from touching the water. Will just go faster if you do it slowly and have lots of flow. But even salt in a dead spot will dissolve after a while. I did it tbis way but Did it days In advance so wasn’t an issue.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive yet to fill my aquarium but im about to. I was wondering; if im not adding fish or anything to the tank yet, can i just add the salt directly into the tank and mix it there instead of in a bucket? i dont have anything big enough to hold 23g of water, and if im adding salt to every bucket dose it would take days to fill the tank as the salt needs many hours to dissolve... if i cant do that, what do you suggest?
IMO this is the time to practice and have all supplies you need ready. You could use 1 or 2 five gallon buckets and mix salt to higher salinity and pour into tank that is filled with rodi this way you are sure no salt falls between rocks or anything

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%

Back