Whats your leak test procedure?

crabgrass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you put the sand in filled with water? do you do that when its slap full or maybe just a few inches of water?
I was moving cycled rock and “live sand”. So what I did was
1. RO + leak test
2. Add Salt
3. Add rocks
4. Add sand

Sand gets everywhere, so I had to dust a lot off afterwards. You could do sand first and let it settle a day, but I liked the look

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I did. Filled with RO (display and sump), ran everything for 24 hours. No DT issues, but found lots of small issues with my connections that needing fixing. The saltwater, and then moved rocks and sand.
I didn't have one issue. I did have a small pinhole leak in my overflow box, but I fixed that easily with weld-on.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add rocks and sand ahead of time. Makes it a pain if the tank is full.
IN a perfect world, I agree. I didn't. My water was cloudy the next day but I didnt lose any sleep over it. Everything settles down fine.

Attachments

• aquascape - frame at 0m0s.jpg
    aquascape - frame at 0m0s.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 23

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you put the sand in filled with water? do you do that when its slap full or maybe just a few inches of water?
Any water you displace with sand is going to go into the sump. So yeah, that's not a problem.
Don't overthink it. Just make sure your salt is mixed before adding the sand and rock. Let it mix overnight.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
do you remove the ro then add sand and rock after the 48 hrs?
I take advantage of empty tank and add the water and salt and let powerhead pumps mix for me and if all good, I add sand and allow the tank to clear a little and add rock so I can see where im placing it.

new:

1705623288426.png

A few days later:

1705623321964.png

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going with ro. Then salt. Then rock then sand. Thanks alrdy got 15 gals in dt.

forgot to mention i live where water is flat rate so i run a rodi for reef and a ro for plants all day almost everyday. lots of res to fill

Last edited:

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new tanks. 60 aqeuon and 40 breeder for sump
New Aqueon tanks almost certainly won't leak, but I guess it can't hurt to check. You would certainly want to check your plumbing though

Maybe use tap water after all. 80 gallons is like one or two full bathtubs, so I don't think it would cost you that much. Then once you know everything is watertight, drain it, and fill it with saltwater.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going with ro. Then salt. Then rock then sand. Thanks alrdy got 15 gals in dt.

forgot to mention i live where water is flat rate so i run a rodi for reef and a ro for plants all day almost everyday. lots of res to fill
You now, that's probably a good plan. I don't think you'll have a problem with the new tanks, so as long as your plumbing is watertight you'll be good to go.

OP
OP
Bakedpwn

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
those who add sand and rock after mixing salt or adding saltwater, does dry rock and sand raise salinity at all?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back