When to declare a fish dead?

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a watchman goby that I’ve had for a few months now and a few days ago it went missing. Saw many snails near its den. And haven’t seen it in about 4 days now. When would it be considered passed on? Because if I get my pistol shrimp a new watchman and the other is still alive then that would not be good

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a watchman goby that I’ve had for a few months now and a few days ago it went missing. Saw many snails near its den. And haven’t seen it in about 4 days now. When would it be considered passed on? Because if I get my pistol shrimp a new watchman and the other is still alive then that would not be good
Watchman gobies can disappear for months on end while still alive. I didn't see mine for maybe 5-6 months once

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watchmen gobies are:
A) possibly THE hardiest fish we keep in the hobby
B) cave dwelling
C) capable of not eating in a sort of trapped underground semi-hibernative state for a time that seems impossible

I'm on team "no body, no death" for these fish. Unless they jump or you had a rock crushing event, I bet it's still kicking. They also make their way into overflows and sumps regularly while still alive.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one go missing for so long that I actually forgot he might be in the tank...when I saw him 8-9 months later, I was really surprised! Fwiw, I had 1 pistol shrimp with 2 ywm gobies and they all lived happily together. So if you want a shrimp/goby pair, go ahead and add them... Maybe the missing goby will reappear :)

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for help. The tank is fairly small and I know where all their den holes are which is why I assumed death. But hibernation state makes sense. There were no signs of anything wrong the day before it went missing so I’m going to hold out for a while and hope he’ll come back! Last time I went searching for a body I hurt one of my clowns and killed a fire shrimp (my first month in the hobby) so I will not do that again.

OP
OP
_cpate3_

_cpate3_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did surprise me, 1 week later I see him sticking his head out of the cave gills moving and wiggling inside the hole! Must’ve been stuck or caved in or something?

IMG_7457.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did surprise me, 1 week later I see him sticking his head out of the cave gills moving and wiggling inside the hole! Must’ve been stuck or caved in or something?

IMG_7457.jpeg
Neither stuck nor a cave-in. They just do that :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, when it comes to gobies I don’t declare them dead until it’s been a good 6-8 months if not a year of not seeing them. Most of the time I find the dead bodies but if there’s no dead body or sign of them living then I declare them dead.

I have one goby (Griessingeri) that is said to live 1-2 years and yet mine is on his 4th year… I can go months without seeing him then all of a sudden just as I think he’s gone someone will see him doing his thing at night. At one point it was 6 months and no sign of him, then he just appeared. This was about a year ago now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back