When to determine if the anemone can't be saved

  • Thread starter Thread starter Llg
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Llg

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 25, 2020
Messages
192
Reaction score
33
Location
Iowa
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this anemone for two months. It was happy and then switched to an ai prime light from the stock fluval evo light. Since then, it wandered for a week and has now found it's home on one of the newer rocks I added, but never fully opens. It spends it's day like this. It ate a few days ago, but definitely isn't as sticky. Today, the mouth is slightly puckered open, but yesterday, it was fine. It isn't dropping tentacles, but clearly is getting smaller.

I don't want it to nuke the tank, but also want to give it time if it is just unhappy. Everyone else in the tank is fine. Suggestions?

Salinity 1.025
PH 8.3
Nitrates 5
Phosphates .04
CA 450

20220331_122438.jpg 20220331_122535.jpg
 
I have had this anemone for two months. It was happy and then switched to an ai prime light from the stock fluval evo light. Since then, it wandered for a week and has now found it's home on one of the newer rocks I added, but never fully opens. It spends it's day like this. It ate a few days ago, but definitely isn't as sticky. Today, the mouth is slightly puckered open, but yesterday, it was fine. It isn't dropping tentacles, but clearly is getting smaller.

I don't want it to nuke the tank, but also want to give it time if it is just unhappy. Everyone else in the tank is fine. Suggestions?

Salinity 1.025
PH 8.3
Nitrates 5
Phosphates .04
CA 450

20220331_122438.jpg 20220331_122535.jpg
Give it some time and keep an eye on it. I don’t know much about when to give up on them because mine I’ve had for about a month now and it’s giving me a few scares but if the foot still has a good grip it’s okay for now. If that foot becomes weak I’d say remove it
 
I would give it time to acclimate to the lights. The only time I lost an anemone the foot let go and I found it in the sand. Also if you see it started to disintegrate pull it out.
 
I have had this anemone for two months. It was happy and then switched to an ai prime light from the stock fluval evo light. Since then, it wandered for a week and has now found it's home on one of the newer rocks I added, but never fully opens. It spends it's day like this. It ate a few days ago, but definitely isn't as sticky. Today, the mouth is slightly puckered open, but yesterday, it was fine. It isn't dropping tentacles, but clearly is getting smaller.

I don't want it to nuke the tank, but also want to give it time if it is just unhappy. Everyone else in the tank is fine. Suggestions?

Salinity 1.025
PH 8.3
Nitrates 5
Phosphates .04
CA 450

20220331_122438.jpg 20220331_122535.jpg
Why would you say nuke the tank?
 
Because when nems die they release a lot of toxins into the water column that’ll wipe almost everything in the tank out
I don't think so.
My first nem died and nothing happened.
If your tank is small, yes. Only because of an ammonia spike. If they go into a powerhead and the nematocysts sting coral, that might be a problem.

Anenome dont have toxins to release.
 
I don't think so.
My first nem died and nothing happened.
If your tank is small, yes. Only because of an ammonia spike. If they go into a powerhead and the nematocysts sting coral, that might be a problem.

Anenome dont have toxins to release.
Always been told they would by my LFS and I always believed them but after some quick research turns out that was lie! Thanks for the correction!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new