when to do water changes?

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon fowlr tank with a small bioload of three fish and 10 turbo snails. Nitrates of my tank never go above 10ppm. Should I still need to do regular water changes?

OP
OP
J

jaehyeokeom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon fowlr tank with a small bioload of three fish and 10 turbo snails. Nitrates of my tank never go above 10ppm. Should I still need to do regular water changes?
or are there any elements in a sea salt that are crucial to fish and do they depreciate in time?

LiamPM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a fowlr, its not really necessary unless you see something in your parameters that you'd like to lower. Those that do tend to do it is because FOWLRS tend to get more higher stocking levels than you would do in a reef tank and so nutrients tend to be a little higher and harder to control for algae purposes. If your NO3 etc stays where you want it then theres no real need though. They are mainly to replenish lowering levels that coral use up.

Having said that - Id still do one every so often, just not on the scale you would with a reef. Once a month - 10%, when the sand bed needs hoovering etc as it certainly cant do any harm to replace and freshen up the water in part here and there.

Back