When to dose for nutrients

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 90 gallon tank is around 5 and a half months and is lightly stocked with 2 clownfish, some mushrooms, zoas, a BTA, some GSP, and Cyphastrea. All are basically just frags at this point. I have a sump with protein skimmer and macro algae fuge (Gracilaria). My nutrients are bottomed out to zero and haven’t seen much for coral growth yet. At what point should I consider something like Reef Roids or a similar product? I do dose phyto every day.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be easiest to just take your skimmer off line for awhile and see what happens. You answered your own question when you said your filtration sure works!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add more fish and feed enough for them all? 2 clowns seem very light food a 90g. Maybe cut back on fuge light cycle

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would probably be easiest to just take your skimmer off line for awhile and see what happens. You answered your own question when you said your filtration sure works!
Haha I know. I did turn off the skimmer for the weekend.

Is it worth feeding the coral with something like Reef Roids?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat, but I like to leave the skimmer on. Helps with oxygenation and ph. Good quality pellet foods and roids can help with po4. I use neophos from brightwell if that doesn’t cut it. For an N source I have started dosing ammonium bicarbonate from Randy’s diy recipe with success. Before that I was using neonitro, but I get better color with ammonia.

Link to Randy’s recipe:https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-ammonia-dosing-for-low-nitrate-systems.987087/

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I know. I did turn off the skimmer for the weekend.

Is it worth feeding the coral with something like Reef Roids?
You can feed reef roids if you want just go slow as it will raise phosphates. You should feed your bta once a week or so. I would use pellets or something meaty like mysis.

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neonitrate and neophosphate and good products I've used both. They can get expensive if needed constently

OP
OP
mossanimal

mossanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat, but I like to leave the skimmer on. Helps with oxygenation and ph. Good quality pellet foods and roids can help with po4. I use neophos from brightwell if that doesn’t cut it. For an N source I have started dosing ammonium bicarbonate from Randy’s diy recipe with success. Before that I was using neonitro, but I get better color with ammonia.

Link to Randy’s recipe:https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-ammonia-dosing-for-low-nitrate-systems.987087/
I think I'm going to try the 'baking ammonia' recipe. What has your dosing schedule/method been?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my tank (80 gallon total volume) ive been dosing 5ml in the am and another 5 in the pm mixed up as per Randy's recipe. So far though i am still hovering ~0 -.2 as per salifert kit. I may start adding more to see if i can keep it in the 3-5 range. Randy's suggestion of .1ppm nh3 is a really good starting point and dial it up or back from there.

dschuffert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of leaving the skimmer on 24X7. I dose nutrients in my 900L tank. I do monthly ICP tests to measure all the elements I am dosing and then adjust from there. I test for Iron weekly and micro-adjust when needed. I don't like chasing numbers for exactness. I try to stay in a range and slowly adjust within that range. I have found stability works well in my system.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back