When to fight

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also there are some great local reefers on this site that sell coral as well as Facebook groups if you check. Much better health and prices.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
112 tank cube innovative sump 29 gal
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5.6
Phosphate.02
Calcium 501
Magnesium 1450
Nitrite .01
Alk 8.1
Ph 8.1

Crew blue tuxedo, skunk shrimp. Blue hermit 10, Cerith 7, turbo 11, nasarius 9
12 coral all small except a large frogspawn

Two wild caught clowns and a Chicago sunburst (shh I know it’s said to early on that one but had to)

Tank co2 scrub, skimmer, uv (need to check flow), refugium with cheato and red ogo.

Versa dosing ab+ and alk

Started with dry rock live sand. Have about 100lbs of rock

I’ll try to add a pic but can’t figure out blue light lol

Let me know what else info you’d like but think that’s the majority
Forgot to mention when I said there's nothing you can dose, I meant chemically.

If you chuck in strombus snails (conches), they'll eat it.

Maybe 2 in your size tank to start, but you'll have to feed them when they finish the diatoms because they eat a lot and your tank probably doesn't have enough food at the moment.

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention when I said there's nothing you can dose, I meant chemically.

If you chuck in strombus snails (conches), they'll eat it.

Maybe 2 in your size tank to start, but you'll have to feed them when they finish the diatoms because they eat a lot and your tank probably doesn't have enough food at the moment.
I have thought about one but read mixed reviews on them with corals?

1stPhantom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So approaching the 3 month mark and same diatoms just won’t die out. Read many things on let it take it’s course… so at what point do your dose and fight back.?
To be honest when I was fighting it, (it was bad) it was only on the rocks and tank glass so during water changes I would keep the waste water depending on how much taken out i double dosed the amount of Dr.Tims saltwater waste away in that waste water then mix and take my rocks out and scrubbed with a hard bristle toothbrush the whole rock in that water once it was visibly gone I grab a turkey baser sucked up some tank water & rinsed the rock then based on the doses on the tank I would put several drops of coralife purple tech on it then scrubbed it in with a soft bristle tooth brush I scrubbed down the tank glass especially the corners I also got uv light filter and put in some nitrate killing filter rocks do that before you clean the rocks of course so once you brush that in you can put it back in there then the following day dose Dr. Tim to the tank parameters I did this on 3x with 30%-40% water change within a 3 week time period and I personally beat it and started growing purple coralline Algea on my dry rocks I see lil pop ups on the glass but cleaned it right off and it disappears for like 2-3 weeks at a time now hopes this helps

lil sumpin

Digital Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your CUC seems a little undersized for a tank that size, maybe get a slightly bigger, more diverse group soon. As mentioned, you'll likely see a bunch of other uglies within the next 3-6 months, I think it's a bad precedent to start looking for quick fixes especially now that your tank is beginning to mature. You don't wanna rock the boat too much! sometimes uglies disappear on their own. I've found that it helps to not stare at them all the time :face-with-monocle:

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest when I was fighting it, (it was bad) it was only on the rocks and tank glass so during water changes I would keep the waste water depending on how much taken out i double dosed the amount of Dr.Tims saltwater waste away in that waste water then mix and take my rocks out and scrubbed with a hard bristle toothbrush the whole rock in that water once it was visibly gone I grab a turkey baser sucked up some tank water & rinsed the rock then based on the doses on the tank I would put several drops of coralife purple tech on it then scrubbed it in with a soft bristle tooth brush I scrubbed down the tank glass especially the corners I also got uv light filter and put in some nitrate killing filter rocks do that before you clean the rocks of course so once you brush that in you can put it back in there then the following day dose Dr. Tim to the tank parameters I did this on 3x with 30%-40% water change within a 3 week time period and I personally beat it and started growing purple coralline Algea on my dry rocks I see lil pop ups on the glass but cleaned it right off and it disappears for like 2-3 weeks at a time now hopes this helps
Thanks, my rocks are not to bad. It’s there but within reason the sand is my biggest issue. I currently been doing 1-2 water changes weekly 10/30% . I have definitely taken newbie chances but I also have every piece of equipment, only thing I don’t have is a carbon doser. I actually wonder where the newbie euros come from cause one is you can get a tank for a grand and I’m 12x that….. read articles on corals first and 2 week or two hour turns yet newbies are truthfully undefined and just that statement causes information problems…….

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, my rocks are not to bad. It’s there but within reason the sand is my biggest issue. I currently been doing 1-2 water changes weekly 10/30% . I have definitely taken newbie chances but I also have every piece of equipment, only thing I don’t have is a carbon doser. I actually wonder where the newbie euros come from cause one is you can get a tank for a grand and I’m 12x that….. read articles on corals first and 2 week or two hour turns yet newbies are truthfully undefined and just that statement causes information problems…….
I'd slow down the water changes.
10% a week is more than enough in a new tank.

I wouldn't go any where near carbon dosing until the tank is stable.

The solution to most problems is patience not gadgets.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get your hands on a seasoned chunk of real live rock you can out compete them almost over night. Just place it in the display and watch them disappear. As others said I would lay off on the water changes. You could just be fueling the fire with your mix?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
afc7e1a5-943f-4e8e-8052-a99d44487572_text.gif

OP
OP
library 112

library 112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some pics. Got a couple strawberry conches and a live rock like a few suggest

Attachments

• 73230950522__4D25CB43-9189-428E-8931-0649AC6BE538.MOV
    1.9 MB
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 9

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back