When to get a Regal Tang (Tank Upgrade)?

fb_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with a 30 gallons tank (just over 6 months ago), I am now in the process of upgrading to a much larger tank 130 gallon tank. I have put some of the live rock in from my existing tank and it looks to have done a very small cycle.

6 months previous to this our LFS, said we could only get a juvenile Regal Tang after our tank has been established for 6 months. Is this correct? And would I have to wait another 6 months for my new tank to establish, or because I have used the live rock from my existing tank it should be ok?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off with a 30 gallons tank (just over 6 months ago), I am now in the process of upgrading to a much larger tank 130 gallon tank. I have put some of the live rock in from my existing tank and it looks to have done a very small cycle.

6 months previous to this our LFS, said we could only get a juvenile Regal Tang after our tank has been established for 6 months. Is this correct? And would I have to wait another 6 months for my new tank to establish, or because I have used the live rock from my existing tank it should be ok?
what else is in your 130 gallon tank?

Just a rock, saltwater and sand? When your tank has cycled (for sure - does just a single rock alone cycle a tank... gets it started but more ammonia (things dying, fish pee, food waste) > nitrite > nitrate and then water changes to remove nitrates) and parameters are stable, then you can add your regal blue tang.

Tangs are very susceptible to HLLE so you should try to minimize use of carbon ever used in tank, so you want a stable tank and need to keep it stable (so you aren't tempted to use charcoal to 'fix' something and damage tang). We have a tiny baby blue and they need a very varied diet. Mine isn't (yet) eating macroalge live red ogo or nori sheets but hope it eventually figures it out by watching our yellow tang.

I cut up spirulina mysis, fish eggs, rod's food, reef frenzy and refreeze cubes as 'multi-food-type' cubes to make it more streamlined when I feed 2x daily. I'm also feeding live black worms (because my CBB is picky beyond...) When my thumbnail sized regal blue tang (boy does this fish have a zillion common names) first saw a worm i added to its acclimation tank, don't think it could eat it - its mouth was so tiny and back then I gave it rotifers, zooplanton-S and Reef Nutrition R.O.E fish eggs (smaller than San Francisco brand frozen), as well as occasional other thawed tiny foods. Varied food helps color development and if color isn't constant because of poor nutrition I've read it will forever be color deficient. I'm treating mine like an omnivore as I've read blue tang both a plankivore but everyone refers to it like herbivore since is in tang family (and its getting a tiny bit in those spirulina mysis)

Recommend starting with a mid-size fish and not teeny tiny like we did (but it was a great deal/price and it lived (despite finding all the holes even dartfish to big to get thru) - but I will not get such an immature fish ever again). They are supposed to grow almost 2" a year, and it has grown notiable in past 3 months - but I am ready for mine to be bigger. Not that I don't love tiny fish - I love neon blue gobies and full size they are just 2" full grown - they are so personable and don't get lost in my 180g.

My blue tang had a clown fish jump into its acclimation tank and they became pals. I've found fish always seem to do better when they go thru QT and acclimation with a friend (neon blue gobies are a go to fish for me for this because they don't take up much space). I want to rehome its clown friend because clown is trying to get corals to host clown, but I think blue would be sad so for now clown is staying (and its 2 corals are dying/declining). I couldn't find a blue goby back when we got tang (and still don't have any... summer availability around here was poor).

Keep us posted on your upcoming blue tang baby! Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post (either tank) in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back