When to soak foods and what to soak with?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read posts from fellow reefers who say that they often soak their fish (maybe coral too?) foods before feeding their fish. To make sure that my fish have optimal nutrition, when should I soak foods before feeding and what should I soak them in? How often should I do it?

If live foods are not an option for me or only something I can get every once in a while / very rarely, how do I make sure my fish and corals get the most nutrition they can possibly have?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy quality foods. Buy a wide variety of foods (frozen, flakes, pellets, liquids).

I feed 23 to 5 different foods buy adding some tank water to a mug and mixing it the foods. The idea is to get some that float to sink so the overflow skim doesn't just pull it all away off the top of the water. If you buy any 'additives' do the food and additive (Liquid) first and let the food soak it up, then add water and then feed.

Fish, corals and other tank mates survive on some VERY basic diets in some tanks. Some people only feed flake food because it's easy. And their animals seem to do OK. Don't over think your needs here.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will mix several different food including LRS Reef Frenzy, Coral Frenzy, Herbivore Frenzy, and Frozen Mysis in a cup. I mix enough at a time to feed the tank for 2-3 days. I add the frozen foods to the cup then add several drops of Selcon AND several drops of AminOmega. Add some RODI or tank water to the cup, let it thaw, mix it up, and feed the fish. I also feed 1/4 to 1/2 sheet of Nori most days.

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with lpsouth....I soak with Brightwell Aquatics “garlic power” and “vitamarin-C”.... best garlic ive used so far.... take it slow, but ive beat ich 3 times w that specific garlic... not saying that its a cure all but seems to keep my lil guys spot free! But be careful IT REALLY SMELLS lol!

sorry if im not supposed to post specific brands!!!

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Along with lpsouth....I soak with Brightwell Aquatics “garlic power” and “vitamarin-C”.... best garlic ive used so far.... take it slow, but ive beat ich 3 times w that specific garlic... not saying that its a cure all but seems to keep my lil guys spot free! But be careful IT REALLY SMELLS lol!

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use garlic! It's not found in the ocean, and has been proven to show liver damage in fish that have eaten it long term.

It's a great way to get finicky fish to start eating, but should not be used long term.

With that said, I soak pellets, LRS, and some flake in selcon.

JoshO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard and read negatives to garlic, it's not naturally available to fish. While the scent may inhibit better feeding, it's nutritional value seems to be accepted as negative.
I soak my hikari marine s pellets in RO water for a few minutes to soften them. It also helps digestion as the fish can expel salt better (supposedly)

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never fed live foods(unless you count copepods) in the 20 or so years I've been in and out of the hobby. It's just not a viable option for me.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quality frozen(LRS is the gold standard for frozen), and some dry, with nori is all thats really needed. Quality frozen can be just as nutritious as live. You don't get the gut bacteria from the frozen like you do with live, but IMO it's not needed.

Sometimes live foods is just not a viable option depending on where you live, and whats available to you.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I’ll be feeding a mixture of dry, fresh, and frozen preparations. In the process of making a comprehensive feeding regimen for each type of fish (carnivore, omnivore, herbivore).

I guess I’ve been trying to emulate Paul B’s methods way too hard. Can fish live long and healthy lives without any live foods?

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got fish that are in their teens with no live foods. I think they do fine without live foods.

There is a reason we have quality dry foods now. Years ago live foods was all you could find, no one had pellets, or frozen. You either fed flakes or live foods. So the fish food industry responded with live quality frozen, and much better quality pellets and flake. Many people just feed flake without issue. Everything our fish need nutrionally wise can be found in today's quality dry foods.

While Paul's regime works for him, hes defintely and outlier in that respec(or just really old school which we know to be true). It's just not econimically or physically possible for 99% of the reefing world to feed live foods.

FWIW,
There was a thread yesterday about what fish eat what, and if strickly herbivores would eat meat. I have yet to meet a fish that would not eat algae or meaty foods if offered. They may be strickly herbivores, but all will eat meat if given the option, and vice versus. Ever see a meat eater pick at the glass algae or algae on the rocks?

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. I’ll be feeding a mixture of dry, fresh, and frozen preparations. In the process of making a comprehensive feeding regimen for each type of fish (carnivore, omnivore, herbivore).

I guess I’ve been trying to emulate Paul B’s methods way too hard. Can fish live long and healthy lives without any live foods?
Yes they can. I have a purple tang that will be 15 years old next January, and it has never seen live food (from me). I feed mostly new life spectrum, but also mix in Nori and frozen brine shrimp and frozen mysis.

Acskippy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not use garlic! It's not found in the ocean, and has been proven to show liver damage in fish that have eaten it long term.

It's a great way to get finicky fish to start eating, but should not be used long term.

With that said, I soak pellets, LRS, and some flake in selcon.
Thats why i love this place thank you guys! Def gonna change up my feeding routine! Sorry for bad info!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back