When to start adding corals?

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As some of you know this is my first reef tank and y’all have been most helpful with the stuff I’ve forgotten from my fish keeping days.
Question of the day: when to add corals and inverts or pods?

Tank has cycled as of this weekend.
Have two blue reef chromis that went through cycle with Dr Tim’s one and only. No major ammonia spikes so no harm was done to fish.

Thinking about adding a yellow watchman + shrimp next weekend

Parameters:
Salinity 34 refractometer
Ammonia 0 Red Sea
Nitrite and Nitrate 0 (did a water change after cycle when nitrate was 10) Red Sea
DKh 7.8 Hanna
Ca 420 Red Sea
Ph floating from 7.92-8 apex
Temp 77.9 apex

No algae yet either on rocks or sand.

Lights only running 2 bulbs: b+ and actinic 3 hrs/day during feeding and rest of time ambient room light. Now that cycles over I believe I should I raise to 6 hrs and run the two 2+ in addition to the blues.

All comments welcome

F0140E68-5D61-4E45-AA2E-CA86FA993665.jpeg

D60ABFAD-B981-4781-8FEC-7914E662E901.jpeg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals would you like to add?

Any soft corals, and hardy LPS such as Duncans, Candy Canes, Favia.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with this plan, and it worked out really well. link Nice and slow

I would suggest harty corals such as mushrooms of polyps.

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang forgot to include which ones I’m leaning towards. So concentrating on values I forgot. I’m leaning towards LPS (favias chalices trumpet acans) and maybe maybe a zoa or two, candy canes. My plan is to stock with a few more fish and fish then once the tank gets a little more seasoned and stuff starts growing get a CUC and then some corals. Thinking maybe January February?
Should I increase lighting cycle now?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of the camp that corals are easier (hardy corals) than fish.

I would increase the lighting and if you see increased algae growth proceed with the cuc.

What fixture do you run?

How old is the tank? Cycled is a catch all, there are many factors/variables that we can't or do not test for that go into a tank being able to sustain corals and fish.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^^^that.
Look for or ask about hardy corals.
Find ones you like and get them.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d turn up the lights now so you can work out any algae problem that may result. Do you have a dosing plan? Once you add corals, you’ll probably need to dose alk and ca, especially with LPS. I’d have a plan beforehand that you can adjust once you have the corals.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic husbandry of water changes is enough until you start to see an increase in utilization of the big 3 (calcium, alk and magnesium). Aim for values close to normal salt water (NSW). At a month in I would not even consider dosing, do not over complicate an already complicated process. Just go slow and you should be good to go with regard to adding corals. Corals really add little to the bio-load, with sufficient lighting and normal parameters to chemistry you should be fine.
Prior to purchase it behooves you to research potential purchases. You'll find Coralmorphs/Mushrooms very forgiving as long as you do not over illuminate. Sinularia and Sarcophyton are also great beginning corals.

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with several of the others here but with one cautionary note. Many of the easiest to grow corals become "pests" later on. Xenia, star polyps etc. Would advise to look long term and plan for what you want a year from now and work that into the equation. In the long run patience will be your best friend.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new tank almost always go through the new tank ugly stage. Usually, that means having a series of algal blooms. It might be prudent to ride out the ugly stage until you get your tank stable. But you probably could add the tougher LPS now.

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you’re good at keeping stable parameters then you can add corals right away. If you’re not so sure then wait a few weeks and make sure you’re keeping everything in check with ease

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your responses
I run an ATI 4 bulb fixture with 1 channel with 1 blue+ and 1 actinic. The other two bulbs are coral +. I was only running the blue channel for 3 hours a day during the cycle to let the fish eat and monitor the tank but will be bumping it up to six hours per day and 4 hours on the coral plus once I know the cycle is done.
I’ve read pretty extensively about the “nuisance” softies and will probably stray away from them. Maybe a zoa island will be the extent of those types. Toadstools perhaps and candy canes for sure. I’m being pretty patient but my wife is itching to get some more life in the tank. Lol. I really favor favites, acans, gonioporas and chalices but will be patient and slow.

I bought the brs kalk starter pack when it was on sale and am fully prepared to dose kalk whenever there is a demand. ATK all set up and working fine with RODI and will be using that to dose kalk as needed. I think that with an LPS dominate tank I should be good with kalk, if not will go to two part.

Haven’t seen the uglies begin but I’m sure it’s coming with the increase in light. Got my clean up crew decided on and will order as needed and not going to add a “CUC package”. Just individuals and variety as needed.
What do you consider hardier LPS?

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my first coral were some Paly's. They like somewhat dirty water and can handle the new tank blues. If I remember correctly, I added a Kenya tree early on too. Don't lol! Whatever you add, make sure it's cheap. Hopefully a LFS has $5 frags. Start with a couple of those.

For CUC, as soon as you start seeing diatoms or film algae add a small crew. I haven't caught the size of your tank but go smaller than what online suggestions usually are. I see you plan on adding CUC piecemeal. More expensive but less likely to have die off. Try to include a diverse mix of CUC. I have some turbo, nassarius, nerite, cerith, dwarf cerith, a few chitons, and even a fighting conch in my 220. Love the chitons, they destroy algae on the rocks.

Good luck and keep asking questions!

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my first coral were some Paly's. They like somewhat dirty water and can handle the new tank blues. If I remember correctly, I added a Kenya tree early on too. Don't lol! Whatever you add, make sure it's cheap. Hopefully a LFS has $5 frags. Start with a couple of those.

For CUC, as soon as you start seeing diatoms or film algae add a small crew. I haven't caught the size of your tank but go smaller than what online suggestions usually are. I see you plan on adding CUC piecemeal. More expensive but less likely to have die off. Try to include a diverse mix of CUC. I have some turbo, nassarius, nerite, cerith, dwarf cerith, a few chitons, and even a fighting conch in my 220. Love the chitons, they destroy algae on the rocks.

Good luck and keep asking questions!
Sorry 75/30 and I think diversity in the tank is best. Was thinking trochus, nassarius and maybe a few hermits to start. Then add emerald crab shrimp and more of the previous as required

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry 75/30 and I think diversity in the tank is best. Was thinking trochus, nassarius and maybe a few hermits to start. Then add emerald crab shrimp and more of the previous as required
Be careful with hermits. Sometimes they can be more trouble than they're worth as they'll take any chance to kill a snail. I accidentally ordered some with my 220 CUC and I'll eventually banish them to the fuge.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 61 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back