When to start feeding

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my first fish yesterday (purple firefish), purchased local acclimated for 30 minutes and replace water for 3 cycles every 7-8 minutes. He went down into the rocks hiding which I read is common, my question is when should I start feeding. I heard some don't eat for a few days. Thanks in advance!

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feed just a little the day after you got him. See if he eats. Add some algae to a clip on the glass, it might coax him out. Don't leave in too long, only about an hour or so. Also leave you lights lowered for the first couple days and don't bother the tank too much. He should come out soon.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you know where he is hiding, turn off the pumps and place some food to sink around his hiding place. If he isn't coming out, then just wait until you see him coming out. If there is nothing else in the tank, he may not hide for long. These are very timid fish and they tend to hide in the rocks all day and come out to eat. I have an exquisite firefish and he lives in a rock hole and comes out to eat...then darts back in every time another fish comes near him. Mine hid for over a week without coming out....I thought he died in a rock!

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I plan to keep lights out and feed in the afternoon to make a schedule. I assume he is behind one of the rock since that's where I last saw him poke his head out of. I will turn pump off and put some small pellets later, there is a small cheato ball next to that particular rock which might contain pods.

I thought he died in a rock!

This is my concern until I see him again.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I plan to keep lights out and feed in the afternoon to make a schedule. I assume he is behind one of the rock since that's where I last saw him poke his head out of. I will turn pump off and put some small pellets later, there is a small cheato ball next to that particular rock which might contain pods.

This is my concern until I see him again.
I'm sure he will be just fine and pop out acting like nothing odd has been happening...give him a week or so.

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding was a success. Turn off return and wavemaker drop a few pellets and saw it come out explore and eat 5 pellets.

20191214_173337~2.jpg

Back