When to start filtration

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cycled tank, did some Dr. Tim’s. With 8 fish in it (90 DT + 15 sump). I am getting an order from Tampa Bay Saltwater next week. Nitrates are about 30 and phosphates about 0.3. When should I start running my fleece roller and protein skimmer?

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it’s about that time. 8 fish probably need quite a bit of food and nutrients are getting high. Wouldn’t want an algae outbreak. Skimmer could help balance that out. Will you be adding corals?
I currently do not have a light over the tank, I will be moving my light from my old tank over. Once the light and rock are in I will add corals after a few weeks. I have quite a bit of coral that will be moved over as well.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm also a day one guy.
I've never ran a roller but the skimmer likely won't produce in the fist 2 weeks anyway and it'll provide time to work out the kinks that can show up.
Just keep those lights off until the tank is ready for fish/corals.

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm also a day one guy.
I've never ran a roller but the skimmer likely won't produce in the fist 2 weeks anyway and it'll provide time to work out the kinks that can show up.
Just keep those lights off until the tank is ready for fish/corals.
I started running my skimmer, I am going to leave the fleece roller off for a few more days though

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer always. You don't ever need a fleece roller, so do what you want with that.

The gas exchange from the skimmer is too important not to run it.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you say that about a fleece roller?

Some do not like fleece. They think it pulls too many good things as well as bad things, and maintance is a hassle.

Personally im in the group that likes to keep my sump not too dirty or full of nasty worms sponges, and snails, so i will always run a fleece.

OP
OP
K

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some do not like fleece. They think it pulls too many good things as well as bad things, and maintance is a hassle.

Personally im in the group that likes to keep my sump not too dirty or full of nasty worms sponges, and snails, so i will always run a fleece.
I run 2 fleece socks on my current tank, but I have long days between work and school and don't want to worry about cleaning them out. Usually, I just pull them and then put them back in when clean, but that is not too efficient.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back