When to start using phosphate control?

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi reefers!

My setup has been running for about a year now and I have been adding a lot more SPS frags to the DT.
Since I have added a sump to the setup my nitrates have settled at 2ppm readable levels from the Red Sea Pro kit and using the Hanna checker my phosphates usually read between 0.10 and 0.18

I do feed twice a day, but since I own a wrasse I don't want to starve it and as such I will continue to do so.

At what point should I run a reactor (I already ordered one) since a lot of people are aiming for 0.02 phosphate and I simply cannot seem to lower my phosphates otherwise (even using PhosGuard in the filtersock for some days at a time)

I must also add that I haven't been doing waterchanges for a while, and not planning to do them either, I am trying to use an all in one sump solution and dosing to keep water parameters at desired levels.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually actively do something above 0.1

My refugium handles all of it quite nicely. I end up dosing phosphates every once in a while.

As to when you want to do something, that is up to you. If you see brown sps then that is a clear sign but otherwise just pick a range and try to keep it there.

OP
OP
josvanmeer

josvanmeer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually actively do something above 0.1

My refugium handles all of it quite nicely. I end up dosing phosphates every once in a while.

As to when you want to do something, that is up to you. If you see brown sps then that is a clear sign but otherwise just pick a range and try to keep it there.

I don't see brown SPS, but I have noticed my purple Mille has never shown any signs of growth and I am thinking the phosphates are why, nitrates are low enough it shouldn't be bothered with those.

As for the easy SPS, like all of my Monti frags are showing lots of growth.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see brown SPS, but I have noticed my purple Mille has never shown any signs of growth and I am thinking the phosphates are why, nitrates are low enough it shouldn't be bothered with those.

As for the easy SPS, like all of my Monti frags are showing lots of growth.

It won't hurt to lower it :)

There are various ways to do so. You can always put some gfo in a bag with carbon or mix them in a reactor with 1/3 gfo.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back