When to turn on lights?

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 150 gallon DT (with 40B sump) has been sitting dark for about a month now. Tank was started with dry rock (marco rock). I used Fritz Zyme Turbo to cycle it (took about a week). I am running my skimmer and powerheads but no light. I have a couple of clowns in my QT that will be ready to move to the DT in a few weeks.

1. Should I keep lights off for 4 months? (Note: since I will not have coral for a long time, the light will be severely dimmed if turned on).
2. Since algae will probably not grow until lights on, when can/should I get a cuc?
3. My fuge is ready ... can/should I start trying to grow chaeto now?
4. I will be hooking up a UV sterilizer to my system soon. When can/should I turn it on?

Thanks!

LAX Noob Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
You need light to start to cycle your tank. Start it with your schedule you were planning. Without lights, some cycle won't start.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. No, I’d probably turn the lights on sooner as opposed to later (even at a reduced level).
2. You can start with a small CUC right away (snails, hermit crabs). Just make sure you supplement them with seaweed wrapped on some rocks until you add fish and are actively feeding them). You may need to still supplement beyond that as well.
4. As soon as you add your fish would be ideal.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to hear more opinions and experiences ...

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of the cycle will not start without lights?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Necro thread revival!

Unfortunately algae needs light to live(photosynthesis). Leaving the lights off is just prolonging the ugly period. No way to avoid it. it's just part of setting up a reef tank.

I personally turn the lights on first day, who wants to stare at a bare unlit tank? I would also turn the UV on when the first fish are added, or when you decide to turn the lights on.

Eldritch_blast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Necro thread revival!

Unfortunately algae needs light to live(photosynthesis). Leaving the lights off is just prolonging the ugly period. No way to avoid it. it's just part of setting up a reef tank.

I personally turn the lights on first day, who wants to stare at a bare unlit tank? I would also turn the UV on when the first fish are added, or when you decide to turn the lights on.
I was just curious how it played out for @rainsong

Theres enough discussion about leaving lights off vs turning on at beginning I’m trying to find some active experience rather than overall anecdotal opinions as to effect on the ugly stage, and if OP actually decided to turn the lights on; an update 1 month later would be pretty well timed to feed my curiosity.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ended up turning the lights on this week (2 months after tank setup).

I moved a couple of clownfish after QT to the DT. Once I started feeding the clowns I noticed that a lot of the food pellets were falling to the sand uneaten. I decided I needed a cuc to clean the sand. Once I decided to purchase a cuc, I purchased a variety ... some of which needed algae on the glass. Since I had little/no algae in the tank, I decided I had to turn on the lights to promote some algae growth.

Once I start seeing algae, I might turn down the lights again ....

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back