When to worry about new shrimp

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pistol shrimp to on of my aquariums a week ago and have not seen it since. There are plenty of copepods in the tank and tons of places to hide but how long do you all go before you start to worry?

I know it is different sometimes too depending on what it is, I see my emerald crab about 1 time every 2 weeks however if I did not see my cleaner shrimp for a day I would worry haha.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a pistol shrimp to on of my aquariums a week ago and have not seen it since. There are plenty of copepods in the tank and tons of places to hide but how long do you all go before you start to worry?

I know it is different sometimes too depending on what it is, I see my emerald crab about 1 time every 2 weeks however if I did not see my cleaner shrimp for a day I would worry haha.
If you don't hear it snapping away then I would worry.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in two years ago. Never saw it again until I was moving tank and low and behold! So just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I have had two over the years and both I never saw or heard the clicking - these guys seem to be quite cryptic lol

TuxUrchin07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put one in two years ago. Never saw it again until I was moving tank and low and behold! So just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it’s not there. I have had two over the years and both I never saw or heard the clicking - these guys seem to be quite cryptic lol
I'm 90 percent sure it's because they are almost blind so they need a goby to warn them about predators or else they might get eaten.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I don't think they come out that much without a goby. And u need to feed them.
I actually bought him because I had a bonded pair of gobies but one escaped when I was cleaning the tank.... So now the other Goby is all alone and I figured it would be interesting to see them interact.

I see the Goby munching on copepods thru out the day so I am hoping the pistol shrimp will get some as well as I have no idea where it even is to feed it.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I have bought more than a few things that quickly disappeared to seldom be seen again. Of course then when you do see them it is pretty exciting!

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a tiger pistol for my yellow watchman a few days ago. I thought it would take forever for them to pair since they were on opposite ends of tank. Got home from work day before yesterday and the tiger n yellow watchman found each other, now there’s a tunnel under my rockscape from end to end. I just read that a curly-curl pistol doesn’t pair with gobys. What kind ya get?

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a tiger pistol a few days ago. I thought it would take forever for them to pair since they were on opposite ends of tank. Got home from work day before yesterday and the tiger n yellow watchman found rack other and now there’s a tunnel under my rockscape from end to end. I just read that a curly-curl pistol doesn’t pair with gobys. What kind ya get?
I got a tiger but it is on the Tiny size, I am kind of thinking it might have to get a bit bigger first before the Goby will pair with it?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lady who sold me mine said that they should be paired kinda to same size. She only warned that a larger watchman may eat a smaller pistol. I hope that’s not your case.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just saw it!
I see what hole he is in now as well so hopefully I can help to make sure I put a little food his way.
He looks bigger already, but it may be he is colored up better then when I took him out of the shipping box.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good deal!!!! Mine has literally bulldozed the entirety of my rock. Good thing I prepared for this. A goby n pistol was on my radar when I aquascaped.

OP
OP
MNFish

MNFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually saw it again today after not seeing it for more than 2 months. Honestly if I had it to do over again I would have gotten something more active I knew they liked to hide but I would prefer if it came out enough to see more than every couple of months.

Back