When would YOU do a water change? Why?

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TL;DR version: New 225 g system, been running for four weeks. Lights have been off the entire time and will stay off for at least 2-3 more weeks. Three Anthias currently (Midas blenny coming in 3 weeks), tons of dosed pods, and some CUC. Nitrates at 3 now.

Longer version: This is my third tank and I’m trying to establish it in a very particular way. Primary goal is to establish a solid micro and miso biome before firing up the lights. Then running lights at low, LPS levels for a few weeks-months while I add some lower-light LPS. Overall, I’m trying to go slowwwww

Tank has dry rock, 120 lb of OceanDirect live sand. After cycle was seeded with:
  • 1 lb tested live sand from AquaBiomics (added to sump)
  • A full biome package from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms including live mud, live sand, berries, micro hermits, micro brittle stars, spaghetti worms, and bristle worms
  • 40-50 amphipods
At four weeks, my nitrates are at 3. We’re at 1.5 last week.

In the past week I’ve also fired up my ReefMat and skimmer (both were not in use first three weeks)

System is free from pests right now. No algae, no diatoms, no Dino’s, no cyano.

I do not plan to add any corals for at least 2-3 more weeks, possibly longer. When I do, I’ll use my PAR meter to make sure maximum PAR does not exceed 100 and I’ll only be adding some LPS.

Long term I intend to do weekly water changes of roughly 10% but I don’t know that it’s time to start that habit.

At what point would YOU do a water change? Why then? How kuch

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only when parameters dictate. I usually do a water change 3 times a year or so.

Glass box dreaming: What do you consider to be the most desirable brand of aquarium on the market right now?

• AquaForest

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cade

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • CDA Fish Tanks

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Eshopps

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • JBJ Aquariums

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 23 13.7%