When You Fixed a Problem in Your Tank, Do You Need To Know Why?

Reefer Matt

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
11,238
Reaction score
42,948
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all get problems that pop up in our tanks, and it’s not always obvious what the cause is. But sometimes a proposed solution works, and we don’t know why. Do you need that closure, or do you just go about your day?

This Is Fine GIF
 
I was getting cavitation on and off for 3-4 months on my carx but the sytem held alk.
Then the effluent slowed.
Yesterday it stopped.
Found this split magnet.
Sicci 3.0 1.5 years since startup.
Now I feel better.
20251102_080153.jpg
 
I was getting cavitation on and off for 3-4 months on my carx but the sytem held alk.
Then the effluent slowed.
Yesterday it stopped.
Found this split magnet.
Sicci 3.0 1.5 years since startup.
Now I feel better.
20251102_080153.jpg
Woah! I’m glad you found it!
 
If a problem that fixed itself returns, then I dissect the problem to understand the cause, then brainstorm a solution and follow thru.
 
We all get problems that pop up in our tanks, and it’s not always obvious what the cause is. But sometimes a proposed solution works, and we don’t know why. Do you need that closure, or do you just go about your day?

This Is Fine GIF
Depends on how big the problem is. No need for a bazooka when a fly swatter fixes the problem.
 
Honestly I don’t get too technical in my reefing. Well, it doesn’t seem like it to me anyway. I do water changes, and have a controller to auto test and dose my sps tanks because I am away from home much of the day. They are smaller tanks packed with coral. I setup lighting with my par meter, and leave it alone after, and I just let the tanks do their thing. I know some of the science, but I don’t need to know why my tanks are successful or not. Usually they veer off course when I forget to do maintenance, but maybe I’m just out of touch?
 
I don't know everything and I am at peace with that. If a problem resolves itself, I am grateful, thank my Creator and move on.
In 30 years of reef keeping I haven't really dealt with the same problem more than once so its worked out ok.
 
We all get problems that pop up in our tanks, and it’s not always obvious what the cause is. But sometimes a proposed solution works, and we don’t know why. Do you need that closure, or do you just go about your day?

This Is Fine GIF
I want closure, but sometimes we don't always get what we want.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new