Where and what to do for snorkeling, or even if the beginner scuba is worth the time to learn it at Roatan, ,Costa Maya, Cozumel or in Harvest Caye?

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where and what to do for snorkeling, or even if the beginner scuba is worth the time to learn it at Roatan, ,Costa Maya, Cozumel or in Harvest Caye? It’s me and my family’s first time on a cruise to the Caribbean. We are going to each of these spots and have snorkeled before. Trying to find some insight on what to do. Thanks

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a snorkeler in the Florida Keys for 20+ years. I tried scuba but found it didn't come close to fitting my desires.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do collecting of CUC mostly. My wife does photography. Snorkeling in the shallows is so easy and colorful. We often do 90 minutes or more before lunch and then another hour or more after lunch.

Scuba just meant a lot more equipment, going deeper where there is less light, spending much less time in the water and maybe a bit more risk. I just didn't see the advantage.

If all you are going to do is look and have an 'adventure' scuba is a good way to go. If you aren't doing regularly, and enjoy the shallows, snorkeling is just SO much easier.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done both both are great im not a certified diver. Snorkeling super easy and really cheap. Only thing I would suggest is get yourself your own snorkel gear. I like stubby fins myself but to each there own.
If while at one of those places they have a intro diving class try it out. Normally spend 20 minutes going over things and then your in the water cheap easy way to see if you like diving. I suggest doing that a few times before going out and buying dive gear.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, having shallow places to snorkel makes snorkeling a lot more enjoyable. Having all of the Florida Keys makes my snorkeling life so easy!

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someday ill snorkel the keys, we always go to hawaii and want to retire there but probably will be out of our price range. This year were going to got to florida for the first time. Trying to time it so its not so hot and we can see some turtles hatching. I think we are going on the gulf side looking at place called anna maria island.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where and what to do for snorkeling, or even if the beginner scuba is worth the time to learn it at Roatan, ,Costa Maya, Cozumel or in Harvest Caye? It’s me and my family’s first time on a cruise to the Caribbean. We are going to each of these spots and have snorkeled before. Trying to find some insight on what to do. Thanks
Roatan is incredible. I’m sad I didn’t know how to scuba back when I was there and only snorkeled

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great. We just started SCUBA and plan on adding that to our cruise itinerary. Two great ways to explore the briny deep. 5F689BED-CE1F-411F-9BA1-C199C31ECF9B.jpeg

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your questions isn't clear but there is nothing that beats scuba. I have been a diver for over 30 years. I have done all around Florid but never on a cruise. My recommendation has always been to obtain certification through a local provider so you can keep a clear path of learning after the trip. I feel that diving on trips is a crash course to get your money. Just my 2 cents. I also like to snorkel with the kids and there are plenty of places between Palm Beach, Florida and the Keys.

Diving on a cruise would probably be great but I don't know I would waste my time taking classes down there.

OP
OP
aabjones888

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the insight so far. I believe them four spots I listed all have snorkeling. There’s one that’s called intro to scuba. They teach you for a short time in a class room, take u to the shallows and a quick crash course then they take u out to a reef. We have snorkeled before with the manatees in Florida and was awesome. So there’s achually a few questions I wasn’t to clear about.
1. Where’s the best place out of these to go snorkling?
2. Would it be worth the class time/crash course to go scuba diving?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snorkeled a sanctuary in Cozemul, it is kinda police taped off so you can’t damage the coral but you just swim around it, my favorite spot. I did a deeper snorkel of a sunken German freighter in Aruba. Bigger fish, less light, less color. The things I want see tend to be in the shallower reefs and more like our tanks

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the insight so far. I believe them four spots I listed all have snorkeling. There’s one that’s called intro to scuba. They teach you for a short time in a class room, take u to the shallows and a quick crash course then they take u out to a reef. We have snorkeled before with the manatees in Florida and was awesome. So there’s achually a few questions I wasn’t to clear about.
1. Where’s the best place out of these to go snorkling?
2. Would it be worth the class time/crash course to go scuba diving?
How long is the crash course and how comfortable is everyone with snorkling?

OP
OP
aabjones888

aabjones888

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it’s like an hour in the classroom and 20-30 mins in shallow water. It seems like the snorkeling would be the way to go. Has anybody else snorkeled at any of these places?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully someday ill snorkel the keys, we always go to hawaii and want to retire there but probably will be out of our price range. This year were going to got to florida for the first time. Trying to time it so its not so hot and we can see some turtles hatching. I think we are going on the gulf side looking at place called anna maria island.
You do realize that Anna Maria Island is near Sarasota and snorkeling there isn't very likely. But it is about a 6 hour drive from the Middle Keys where snorkeling is great!

Maybe take a look at the 'Snorkeling & Collecting' thread... there is a link in my signature below.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check out the thread thanks.
Yeah I was looking at that area for the wife she loves collecting seashells, sea turtles and lying on the beach. She does enjoy snorkeling, but where I do it everyday for hours she might do it every other day for a hour. They have any turtles hatching down there ??? lol
You do realize that Anna Maria Island is near Sarasota and snorkeling there isn't very likely. But it is about a 6 hour drive from the Middle Keys where snorkeling is great!

Maybe take a look at the 'Snorkeling & Collecting' thread... there is a link in my signature below.

Last edited:

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every snorkeler I’ve met wishes they scuba. Roatan is good , Bonaire is my favorite in the Caribbean.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check out the thread thanks.
Yeah I was looking at that area for the wife she loves collecting seashells, sea turtles and lying on the beach. She does enjoy snorkeling, but where I do it everyday for house she might do it every other day for a hour. They have any turtles hatching down there ??? lol
Ha! I've lived here for 24 years and get to a handful of beaches. I probably average a beach visit at least once a week. I've seen a dozen or more areas on various beaches where turtles have buried eggs and have been marked out to keep people away. But I've never seen a turtle digging the hole or the kids hatching out and making for the water. BTW, I believe that usually happens at night.

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been diving for nearly 30 years now. I have gotten every single one of my friends certified and they all love it. There is simply nothing that compares to being underwater. The freedom to go anywhere, basically fly where you want, get up close to anything you want to check out.

Snorkling is amazing and you should absolutely do it, but if you plan to travel to more tropical places learning to dive is well worth it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back