Where are my emerald crabs??

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a green emerald crab 3 months ago, and recently I've not been able to find/see it at all, so I decided to get another one - so far it's staying up front by the rockwork, but I'm not too optimistic that it'll stay there long and soon it'll disappear as well.

Not having these crabs before, do they bury themselves in the substrate, or they are just darn good at hiding?

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide very well, but if you can’t find him after awhile. Then he’s gone .

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 females to a tank in July. I see one maybe once a month and saw all three at the same time for the first time a few weeks ago. Males for me tend to come out more but they also seem to eat my coral. Throw some meaty food in around lights off and see if they pop out. Usually they will be under rocks or in caves.

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hide very well, but if you can’t find him after awhile. Then he’s gone .
But I'd think I would see its shell, but I don't. I don't think the life expectancy of them is that high as is...ie. a year or two?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to see them when they hug the rock to hide, and they can squish their bodies into very tight spaces to hide.

But they are pretty hardy, and usually out poking around the tank, they don't hide 24/7. Maybe you have a crab eater in your tank?

OP
OP
R

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to see them when they hug the rock to hide, and they can squish their bodies into very tight spaces to hide.

But they are pretty hardy, and usually out poking around the tank, they don't hide 24/7. Maybe you have a crab eater in your tank?
Nah, I only have some clownfish. I saw one of my Nassarius snail go after a small astrea....didn't know they would do that.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, I only have some clownfish. I saw one of my Nassarius snail go after a small astrea....didn't know they would do that.
me neither. Maybe make sure you don't have a welk instead of a nass? I've never had one, but they are nass imposters, often mistaken, but can catch and kill small fish and inverts, and maybe even emerald crabs..... take pics of the nass and compare, or post back here

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can blend in in the shadows pretty well sometimes. If they aren't moving, they can be hard to find.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they die there bodies get eaten by hermits and bristle worm s in a short time. It’s easy to miss .

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They hang underneath coral, at molting and busier at night. Often you will see the claws opposed to whole crab

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back