Where can I get Cheap Frag Disk, Squares, etc?

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I get Cheap Frag Disk, Squares, etc?

I currently use broken pieces of live rock.

I actually like the look better, but would like
to use something a little more standard.

Thank you

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using from them?

He's probably talking about these:
Fragtiles.jpg

That's what we used to use until we started using 4Coral/ModReef.com's Frag Plugs and Tiles.

rosebud161616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those tiles that kev posted are kind of slippery and we had some trouble with getting zoas, etc to grow on them. The stuff from 4coral is ceramic so it has a rough/porous texture.

I

inactive

View Badges
Tiles are thee worst frag plugs ever. They are a pain in the **** when it comes to putting the frag into the main display and blending it in. Also, nothing worse than an encrusting colony that has a perfect square rising out of it lol. I am a fan of the cheap DIY aspect, but in the long run no way.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wound up using these for this go around

The glue comes off real easy with a wire wheel

I pull the piece of gauze off the back and put them in a pot of water and boil them. Stir them while they're boiling to scrub them together to get all the paper off. Pick the bits of paper out with a fork. When you can't see any more paper pour them out in a strainer and rinse them. Put them back in the pot with fresh water and boil again to get all the glue off. The glue will turn the water a yellowish color so boil and rinse until the water remains clear. I don't think the glue will really hurt anything but I had some algae growth on the plugs before I started cleaning them this way.

I like using these tiles because it allows me to crowd the frags closer in the frag tank. Of course if you want a peg on the bottom to keep them from moving you wouldn't like these.

Make sure to glue your frag to the back rough side, not the shiny front side. They stick better that way.

HTH

OP
OP
Harry_Y

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pull the piece of gauze off the back and put them in a pot of water and boil them. Stir them while they're boiling to scrub them together to get all the paper off. Pick the bits of paper out with a fork. When you can't see any more paper pour them out in a strainer and rinse them. Put them back in the pot with fresh water and boil again to get all the glue off. The glue will turn the water a yellowish color so boil and rinse until the water remains clear. I don't think the glue will really hurt anything but I had some algae growth on the plugs before I started cleaning them this way.

I like using these tiles because it allows me to crowd the frags closer in the frag tank. Of course if you want a peg on the bottom to keep them from moving you wouldn't like these.

Make sure to glue your frag to the back rough side, not the shiny front side. They stick better that way.

HTH

Thank you, I may have to try that method.

I don't like the kind with the peg.

To me rubble looks the nicest, then the round discs but the
squares are nice to be able to get more in the same area.

If they are going into my display then I put them on Rubble.
If for trade or sale then a disk or square (more standard).

Back