Where can I get freshwater copepods?

hailey11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Does anyone know where I could find freshwater copepods? I've been searching online recently, but the only thing that ever seems to pop up is saltwater copepods. And the freshwater copepods that are available are very, very expensive. Thank you!!!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, and sorry for the late response!

Freshwater copepods are pretty tough to come by at the moment, but they're offered by the following sites:

If you're looking for other freshwater feeders/microfauna (such as rotifers, ciliates, water fleas, amphipods, ostracods, or isopods), then Ward's and Carolina both offer a decent variety.

Disclaimer: order at your own risk, as I haven't personally ordered from any of these yet. I've heard that Paradise can be a bit slow/not great to work with, but they did come through on the orders (I've only heard of one or two people ordering from them, though, so it's a small sample size); I've heard Carolina can have pretty bad quality control on their cultures (seems to be a mixed bag with it); I haven't heard much about Ward's but it is an academia-oriented site rather than a hobbyist-oriented one.

Hope this helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back