Where can I trim my hammer

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
want to put hammer on live rock but would love to trim it down just don’t know if I can or what amount is safe to trim I’m aware hammer skeletons can break and shatter was going to use a stemmed. In the open tank pic you can see all the way to the right just how tall it is kinda. Any advice is helpful thank you !

IMG_0198.jpeg IMG_0192.jpeg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost not worth cutting up. But since you asked, you can cut it anywhere there isn't flesh.

I'd personally recommend a wetsaw for a nice clean cut. If you use bone cutters, youll have to be extremely careful because the skeleton can be brittle and can splinter, tearing into live flesh.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to be off topic, but every pic you post, your fish are swimming near the water surface. I would suggest to get a powerhead in there and point it at the water surface to help with gas exchange and get oxygen into the water, your fish are up top trying to breath. Or else you can add a protein skimmer, that puts a lot of oxygen into the water, but if no skimmer, then agitate the water surface, your fish will thank you for it. Very nice tank though, just needs a little flow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to be off topic, but every pic you post, your fish are swimming near the water surface. I would suggest to get a powerhead in there and point it at the water surface to help with gas exchange and get oxygen into the water, your fish are up top trying to breath. Or else you can add a protein skimmer, that puts a lot of oxygen into the water, but if no skimmer, then agitate the water surface, your fish will thank you for it. Very nice tank though, just needs a little flow.
No I know this has been a problem I have noticed just I feel a protein skimmer isn’t needed in my tank and I got a nano wave maker to point at top for gas exchange and oxygen but I legit tune it on and it makes me coral go absolutely nuts

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I know this has been a problem I have noticed just I feel a protein skimmer isn’t needed in my tank and I got a nano wave maker to point at top for gas exchange and oxygen but I legit tune it on and it makes me coral go absolutely nuts
You can point the return pump nozzle up and get your surface agitation up no power head needed.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just point this up.

1000004919.jpg

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't cut it. Could you pry it off the frag disk gently with a knife?
Yes just would stick up a lot when I mount in on live rock so I was thinking abt trimming slightly with dermal but prob just keep it the way it is.. sand bed is crowded with frags I got a magnet coral shelf coming in to hold some up and plan on mounting the hammers I just have been waiting bc wanna make sure I put them all in the right stop that look the best.

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't cut it. Could you pry it off the frag disk gently with a knife?
Just point this up.

1000004919.jpg
I’ve tried doing that before and I think I had the same outcome it’s hard bc my bedrooms in the basement. So it’s a struggle but I might just think abt getting a protein skimmer if that doesn’t work but I just wanted to stay away bc the tanks so small but I want to make sure they have oxygen

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I wouldn’t use bone cutters on a hammer or torch, it’s no problem with a frogspawn. For hammers and torches I bought a dremel with a diamond blade, maybe $130, and it cuts through the skeleton like it’s butter.

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I wouldn’t use bone cutters on a hammer or torch, it’s no problem with a frogspawn. For hammers and torches I bought a dremel with a diamond blade, maybe $130, and it cuts through the skeleton like it’s butter.
Would this be good?

Attachments

• IMG_0199.png
    IMG_0199.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 23

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why frogspawn is easier for you to cut than the others?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why frogspawn is easier for you to cut than the others?
I don’t know why they seem denser. I had a frogspawn i fragged many many times first for 16 years and always used a bone cutter without removing it from the water. The 2 frogspawn I have now I’ve done the same. I never had hammers and torches back in the day. I got my first hammer and used a bone cutter to remove it from the plug splitting it vertically resulting in three pieces with polyps on it. I’ve noticed the same with torch skeletons, brittle.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help man i appreciate it so how far up would you suggest going maybe an in ?
I guess that is up to you, Im not clear on what you want to achieve. But stay below the flesh band.

OP
OP
N

newreeferr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that is up to you, Im not clear on what you want to achieve. But stay below the flesh band.
Would I be good to put hammers up here ? I’m running the stock fluval light or should I keep it lower

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpeg
    IMG_0201.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 23

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back