Where do i place my wall hammer?

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Wall Hammer coral i picked up from my LFS on friday. I have a Nicrew Saltwater ClassicLED that goes on top of my 20 gallon long. I tried using my dad's industrial grade PAR meter but its basically useless for LEDs. I attached a photo of all the specs of the LED and where my hammer is currently at in my tank. Ik hammers require medium flow, which he is getting, but the medium light part is tricky to measure. P.S Yes, i have a coral rack and wont be balancing this coral on that crappy rock tower lol.

20240305_174757.jpg 20240305_174920.jpg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is not overly powerful, so you should be able to place it wherever you like, as long as flow is comfortable for it. Hammers generally like low-moderate flow, just enough to gently jostle the polyps.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhhh, this doesnt look good. that tank looks brand new, is it? i dont see any other creatures in there and theres almost no liverock in there either.

wall hammers are actually pretty hard to keep and id consider them expert only corals. Ive actually NEVER met anyone in person or seen a tank in person thats been able to keep them alive for any amount of time.

If the tank is brand new, id probably try and find someone else to give it to or trade away.
You really need an established mature reef tank for any chance of keeping them alive.

Now, Branching hammers on the other hand are almost indestructible and super easy to keep.

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohhhh, this doesnt look good. that tank looks brand new, is it? i dont see any other creatures in there and theres almost no liverock in there either.

wall hammers are actually pretty hard to keep and id consider them expert only corals. Ive actually NEVER met anyone in person or seen a tank in person thats been able to keep them alive for any amount of time.

If the tank is brand new, id probably try and find someone else to give it to or trade away.
You really need an established mature reef tank for any chance of keeping them alive.

Now, Branching hammers on the other hand are almost indestructible and super easy to keep.
This tank is not brand new, its almost 2 years old but i switched to RODI water about a month ago. I have an anemone which is currently almost fully recovered from bleaching and some snails so far. All my fish are currently quarantined.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is not brand new, its almost 2 years old but i switched to RODI water about a month ago. I have an anemone which is currently almost fully recovered from bleaching and some snails so far. All my fish are currently quarantined.
which tells me that the tank is not stable, mature and healthy. You dont have to take my advice, its up to you. but you asked, so i answered. im sorry you didnt like the answer i gave you. just being honest in my opinion.

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no your good. Its just that all my fish are quarantined because they had cryptocaryon and i switched to RODI so my anemone would be hwalthier (whiched worked like a charm)

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you do is trade your wall for a few branching varieties...even the most established reeefers find walls hard to keep....trust me!

OP
OP
XxAlex_OhxX

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you do is trade your wall for a few branching varieties...even the most established reeefers find walls hard to keep....trust me!
You know im starting to seriously regret my decision . What was going through my head is that "since ive kept my anemone alive for almost a year and a half a wall hammer shouldnt be much harder". Problem is is gonna be selling cuz if experienced reefers have trouble, idk if theyd want it in the firdt place. If you know any places that would consider id be deeply grateful .

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back