Where do I even start in bringing back neglected tank.

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had started a 15 gallon AIO aquarium which you can see in my post history. About 6 months ago my firefish jumped out of the tank. I put it back right away, but it slowly died over the next several days. A few days later, my tailspot blenny stopped coming out or eating and died not long after. After that I was pretty discouraged and started giving up on the tank. I got distracted with work and neglected it. I didn't do anything but top off the RO reservoir.

Anyways, I decided I was unhappy with the whole setup. So I broke down the tank and moved everything into a regular 10 gallon Aqueon. I have a 100 GPH HOB filter and a small powerhead for flow.

Apologies if the questions about the corals would be better suited for the coral forums... but I have 3 different types of coral that are either not growing or seem on the verge of death and it's kind of overwhelming. Not sure really where to start in getting them back in shape.

Here's the animals I'm trying to rescue:

Bird's nest coral: I got this coral as an impulse buy and it started turning brown and receding almost immediately. This was before my fish died so it's managed to stay alive for a long time somehow, but it's completely brown and not growing.

Candy cane coral: Like the bird's nest, this one receded almost immediately and I assumed it was dead for months. However when I was moving everything into the new tank, I noticed it's still alive in the center.

Kenya tree: The Kenya tree was growing, but it's recently shrunk/closed up and looks perpetually unhappy now. There is some type of mystery coral growing at the base of the frag plug. I can't get a good picture of it. I'm not sure if this is related to the Kenya tree's unhappyness or not.

The macro algae is thriving and so are the toadstool corals. I'm not really concerned about these. The toadstool to the right only looks the way it does because I just dumped it in the tank today from a holding container.

There's a full tank shot in the attachments to show where everything is placed...

Here are all the tests I have currently:

Temperature: 78F
Nitrate: 25 mg/L
Phosphate: not detected
Calcium: 490
Iodide: not detected
Iodate/Iodine: <0.03 PPM (not detected)

I forgot the exact salinity but it definitely doesn't fluctuate because I mix my water the same way every time and have an ATO.

PAR: unknown, need to rent tester. I have the NiCrew 50 watt light and I run it at 40% on both channels... and it's hung 20 inches from the bottom of the tank.

Dosing & Feeding:
I add 4 drops of Chaetogro every day for the algae
I also dose NeoNitro and NeoPhos according to the directions
I add a very small piece of flake food every other day or so for the emerald crab

Water changes:
I replaced half of the water when I moved to the new tank a week ago. But besides that I haven't done a water change in a couple of months.

kenyatree.jpg toadstool.jpg candycane.jpg bird'snest.jpg tankoverview.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get parameters all to acceptable ranges, stability and maturity. That's all there is to it. Stop dosing those chemicals.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one of the big issues there is that you say you don't know your salinity. Invest in a refractometer or a Hanna salinity checker, you absolutely need to know what your salinity is in order for anything to thrive, even if you mix the salt the same way every time.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which test kits? Do you know your alk and calcium (alk more importantly)?

Poseidon9697

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, you need to know the salinity and the Alk, could be a big part of the puzzle.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Star with water and water quality. Once you have confirmed numbers, focus on essentials: salinity-ph-mag-alk-CA-nitrate and phosphates. Additionally, direct attention to lighting and water flow.
Your list consist of very forgiving corals and all can be dealt with gradually . Assure your test kits are not expired and chart/log daily or weekly numbers so you can see what consumption and progress your are seeing. A simple notebook will do.
What test kits are you using?
RODI or tap water from the faucet ? If RO, what is TDS and age of cartridges?

OP
OP
kaylajoy

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't being clear, but the salinity is at 1.025 and I use a refractometer. I meant I couldn't remember the number off the top of my head... Lol.

My RO filter cartridges are fine. I make 0 TDS water.

Calcium is 490

I use salifert test kits

I'm dosing the neophos and neonitro because of the algae, but I could try stopping. I just started doing it this week.

I'll get an alkalinity test. Any other test kits I should get?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wasn't being clear, but the salinity is at 1.025 and I use a refractometer. I meant I couldn't remember the number off the top of my head... Lol.

Calcium is 490

I use salifert test kits

I'm dosing the neophos and neonitro because of the algae, but I could try stopping. I just started doing it this week.

I'll get an alkalinity test. Any other test kits I should get?
Mag
phosphate

Calcium is elevated and questions alk level which has to balance with CA

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back