Where do I set the skimmer inner water height?

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coralife 65g skimmer and I've always had it about two inches below the top of the skimmer. But in the latest BRS video I saw he had it all the way under the skimmate cup. Where am I supposed to really set it?

I mean I know this isn't the greatest skimmer probably a little under decent to be honest but for now it's what I got. New job still finishing school can't drop the money for a nice one justtttt yet.

20180627_202747.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Coralife 65g skimmer and I've always had it about two inches below the top of the skimmer. But in the latest BRS video I saw he had it all the way under the skimmate cup. Where am I supposed to really set it?

I mean I know this isn't the greatest skimmer probably a little under decent to be honest but for now it's what I got. New job still finishing school can't drop the money for a nice one justtttt yet.

20180627_202747.jpg
All depends on the skim you want. If you want a dry skim (dead organics, less water) set it lower, if you want more of a wet skim (dead organics, more water) set it to a higher level. I try to shoot for just under the skimmer cup neck to get a medium skim.

OP
OP
Benga

Benga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on the skim you want. If you want a dry skim (dead organics, less water) set it lower, if you want more of a wet skim (dead organics, more water) set it to a higher level. I try to shoot for just under the skimmer cup neck to get a medium skim.

I feel like if i set it that low with this skimmer the bubbles wouldn't even come close to the top. What you see in the image is like a good day of skimmate coming out stuck on the skimmer cap. But i see people with skimmers cranking skimmate out like crazy like the image below.

Am I trying to get something that my tank can't provide like is my tank running lean on dead organics?

.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like if i set it that low with this skimmer the bubbles wouldn't even come close to the top. What you see in the image is like a good day of skimmate coming out stuck on the skimmer cap. But i see people with skimmers cranking skimmate out like crazy like the image below.

Am I trying to get something that my tank can't provide like is my tank running lean on dead organics?

.jpg
All depends on how much waste, extra food, and dead organics are in your system. It's not uncommon if you have a cleaner tank and don't pull as much skim as someone who has an increased bioload from more fish, more feeding.

Back