Where do I tie in my DI unit on RO system?

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope pictures help figure this out.

My house came with a RO unit with storage tank. I’m going to be adding a DI canister to make water for my reef tank. Where do I tie in the canister? It goes membrane to the ph/alk filter then to the tank for storage (yellow line) then to the active carbon to the blue line that leads to the faucet. Im thinking I tie into the blue line that goes to the RO faucet. But want to make sure that’s correct. Thanks in advance.

IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_1172.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change all of the filters. It goes sediment filter
1 micron carbon
1 micron carbon
Ro membrane
Di resins

Last edited:
OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would change all of the filters. It goes sediment filter
1 micron carbon
1 micron carbon
Ro membrane
Did resins
Correct I’m changing all the filters including membrane, ph/alk and inline active carbon. This system is due for new filters. But do I tie in before (red) that flow block or after (yellow) off the membrane?
IMG_1174.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drinking water ro units can be a little different. Some have the carbon block as the water comes out for taste. But as @Cichlid Dad said sediment, carbon block, membrane, resin filters is how to best set it up. Are you on city water? Chlorine or chloramines added? The carbon blocks remove chlorine and chloramines those are not good for ro membranes. I'm unsure what the ph/alk one is.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct I’m changing all the filters including membrane, ph/alk and inline active carbon. This system is due for new filters. But do I tie in before (red) that flow block or after (yellow) off the membrane?
IMG_1174.jpeg
I would contact the number on the system

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the what I bought to replace the filters. And the di canister with tds meter.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1174.jpeg
Don't use anything but what was listed above. Drinking and reef units can be different

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drinking water ro units can be a little different. Some have the carbon block as the water comes out for taste. But as @Cichlid Dad said sediment, carbon block, membrane, resin filters is how to best set it up. Are you on city water? Chlorine or chloramines added? The carbon blocks remove chlorine and chloramines those are not good for ro membranes. I'm unsure what the ph/alk one is.
city water I believe my house has a water softener on it as well. I bought the filters already just waiting on them. Also the ph/alk filter for drink water it just adds them back in after they’ve been stripped.

Last edited:
OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use anything but what was listed above. Drinking and reef units can be different
correct I bought that replacement set. I’m just trying to figure out where to tie in the DI canister. I still want to keep my RO tank. So after the membrane before the other filters (ph/alk, inline active carbon) and I should be good?

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
city water I believe my house has a water softener on it as well. I bought the filters already just waiting on them.
Do you need to add salt to a bin attached to the water supply? If so then you have a traditional water softner if not you may have one of the saltless systems from my understanding those don't really remove the hardness but more so make it fall out of solution via electrical charge. I've done a lot of research as im on a well and want to upgrade the super old softener. I have read that the electric ones are not great.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other filters I’m referring to are the ph/alk, inline active carbon block. It would go through the sediment, and 2 carbon blocks then membrane to the di canister.
What is the ph alk one? does it adjust the ph and alk up? A remineralizing block? Or remove it? If it removes it do you know how?

OP
OP

805reeftank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to add salt to a bin attached to the water supply? If so then you have a traditional water softner if not you may have one of the saltless systems from my understanding those don't really remove the hardness but more so make it fall out of solution via electrical charge. I've done a lot of research as im on a well and want to upgrade the super old softener. I have read that the electric ones are not great.
Yes I add Salt

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back