Where do micro bubbles go ?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is in the right section. If not, please move it.

My internal skimmer, right in the display tank, produces tons of microbubbles. To help with this, I turned it off for about 5 days. But today I noticed there are tons of microbubbles on the rocks. It’s not bubble algae as it is perfectly clear.

Here is question no 1 : where do microbubbles go once they are released from the skimmer ? Do they burst and release oxygen or do they just drop on the rock and stick to it (thus the microbubbles everywhere I am seeing) ?

Question no 2 : if those microbubbles on the rocks from the skimmer, are they detrimental to my reef tank, either fish, inverts or corals ?

Thanks !

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll work backwards...
2. No, not harmful at all
1. Generally speaking, they float to the top of the water. I suppose some could adhere to the rocks for a time. Wondering if what you're seeing is gas bubbles produced by algae...?

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll work backwards...
2. No, not harmful at all
1. Generally speaking, they float to the top of the water. I suppose some could adhere to the rocks for a time. Wondering if what you're seeing is gas bubbles produced by algae...?
Yeah, I was afraid someone would say that. I see a tiny bit of brown algae underneath. My CUC has declined, partly because of my pistol shrimp and probably my yellow wrasse.

Is buying a new bunch of hermit crabs a good idea ?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was afraid someone would say that. I see a tiny bit of brown algae underneath. My CUC has declined, partly because of my pistol shrimp and probably my yellow wrasse.

Is buying a new bunch of hermit crabs a good idea ?
How old is the tank? More specifically, how old is the rock that you see the algae/bubbles on? If it started as dry rock and it hasn't been in the tank more than a few months, I wouldn't worry about it...

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? More specifically, how old is the rock that you see the algae/bubbles on? If it started as dry rock and it hasn't been in the tank more than a few months, I wouldn't worry about it...
The tank is a little over 2 years old. It started with dry rock, now completely covered in coralline.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this is in the right section. If not, please move it.

My internal skimmer, right in the display tank, produces tons of microbubbles. To help with this, I turned it off for about 5 days. But today I noticed there are tons of microbubbles on the rocks. It’s not bubble algae as it is perfectly clear.

Here is question no 1 : where do microbubbles go once they are released from the skimmer ? Do they burst and release oxygen or do they just drop on the rock and stick to it (thus the microbubbles everywhere I am seeing) ?

Question no 2 : if those microbubbles on the rocks from the skimmer, are they detrimental to my reef tank, either fish, inverts or corals ?

Thanks !
The bubbles on the rocks could be oxygen bubbles from micro algae like diatoms.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of skimmer do you have? Maybe try putting a foam cap on the outlet.
It’s a Tunze internal DC skimmer. The bubbles are coming from underneath. I’m upgrading to a bigger tank with sump in January and won’t be using it anymore but I’m trying to limit damage now (nitrates rising).

The bubbles on the rocks could be oxygen bubbles from micro algae like diatoms.
I have had a dino outbreak when I took my UV out of the display (hose was full of dinos that spilled in the tank) so I dosed silicates for 3-4 weeks and got rid of it.

This is my 4th time at least dosing silicates and I don’t think I ever had microbubbles on the rock to that extent. I stopped dosing silicates maybe 3 weeks ago.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures taken just now and a video (they don’t disappear at night) :

IMG_4891.jpeg

IMG_4890.jpeg

IMG_4888.jpeg

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it kind of fuzzy looking? A little bit slimy?
It looks soft to the touch, maybe a little fuzzy. I’ll look at it under microscope tomorrow.

Chrysophytes might be it. Or something else, I have no idea. It must be something that likes silicate, as my levels are really high after dosing sodium silicate daily for four weeks.

I’m using phosguard now to lower those levels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back