Where do you look for "oddball" inverts?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 14, 2021
Messages
2,022
Reaction score
2,079
Location
Chicago
What state or country do you live in
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like inverts and want to incorporate them more into my systems, but they seem hard to find.
Right now I really want some (or at least a) venus anemone shrimp (Anclyomenes venustus). They have such character and are listed on several sites I frequent for fishes but I don't think I've ever seen them in stock. Are there sites that focus on inverts I can look at, or are there places that will take special orders?
 
I really like unique inverts that you hardly ever see. Finding them available is very hard from my experience. This is a market gap where some ambitious people could do great things for the hobby.
 
As I understand it, there are some places that take special orders, but it is (to my understanding) fairly/very expensive. Also, you may have to order through your LFS (I think this would depend on the company that’s actually acting to acquire the specimen you’re after), and it could take quite a while for them to locate/acquire a specimen for you. Beyond that, while I think you’d be able to get your shrimp, there are some species that you wouldn’t be able to get because of different national/international laws.

If you do want to go the special order route, you can check with your LFS, or I’ve heard that both KP Aquatics and Marine Collectors take orders like this.
 
I really like inverts and want to incorporate them more into my systems, but they seem hard to find.
Right now I really want some (or at least a) venus anemone shrimp (Anclyomenes venustus). They have such character and are listed on several sites I frequent for fishes but I don't think I've ever seen them in stock. Are there sites that focus on inverts I can look at, or are there places that will take special orders?

I think I saw KPA had them in stock recently.
 
I really like inverts and want to incorporate them more into my systems, but they seem hard to find.
Right now I really want some (or at least a) venus anemone shrimp (Anclyomenes venustus). They have such character and are listed on several sites I frequent for fishes but I don't think I've ever seen them in stock. Are there sites that focus on inverts I can look at, or are there places that will take special orders?
ReefCleaners: Out of season and Other Inverts section.
 
your gonna end up with some giant mega hermit the size of your arm lol.
Not yet! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I found a really nice one a few months back that I spotted again last night. Black legs with red and gold stripes and black claws with white pokadots.
 
Not yet! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I found a really nice one a few months back that I spotted again last night. Black legs with red and gold stripes and black claws with white pokadots.
you will wake up one day and these guys will be coming for you.
coconut-crabs-1.jpeg
 
you will wake up one day and these guys will be coming for you.
coconut-crabs-1.jpeg
Probably. My algae eating hermits have figure out how to climb the cables on the wavemakers and use the corner support bracing to scale the sides of the tank, so there's definitely some evolution going on...

And that's definitely my dog standing there barking!
 
Probably. My algae eating hermits have figure out how to climb the cables on the wavemakers and use the corner support bracing to scale the sides of the tank, so there's definitely some evolution going on...
soon, the revolution...

download (10).jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 16.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new