Where Have My RBTA's Gone?!

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On two separate occasions recently I added a BTA to my tank & both times they vanished overnight. They were both fairly small (1-2") but I drip acclimated them for a couple of hours and carefully placed them on rock where I thought they would be happy.

They remained there for the rest of the day but when I came down in the morning they were nowhere to be seen. It's now been nearly two weeks since I added the first one and neither have reappeared.

What might have happened to them? Water quality is all good, powerheads are all covered so I'm at a loss to know where they might have gone. The only thing I can think is that they might have been eaten - is that possible? My fish are all reefsafe and I have nothing unusual - foxface, clowns, coral beauty, small sixline and a few blennys, gobys etc

I would like to add another anemone but I'm concerned the same thing will happen again

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one peppermint but he's tiny. do you think he's the culprit?

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing happened to me. I had a very nice pink rose RBTA. Quarantined it for 16 days and then put in tank. Disappeared after 24 hours from rock to a corner in sand... then moved again and it’s been 3+ weeks now.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think if I got a larger specimen to begin with it would survive?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe, but those shrimps are the devil imo. Especially if it got a taste for BTA now, and likes it. Only way I would keep a shrimp in my tank these days is if I had a uncontrollable aiptasia outbreak. Even then I would be hard pressed to put any in my tank again.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one “lost” for 6 months.....thought he was surely toast.
Then, one day, he reappeared, but 1/2 the size.
Very strange member of my tank.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one “lost” for 6 months.....thought he was surely toast.
Then, one day, he reappeared, but 1/2 the size.
Very strange member of my tank.
OK so there's still hope!

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought that but surely if they need light & flow they'd eventually come out of hiding wouldn't they??

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look between rocks I had one move around so much in my tank he finally went deep inside the rocks n only one or two tentacles could be seen

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me I've looked wherever I can! It's possible they are both right at the back of the tank where I can't see them but I thought they needed decent light & flow so expected them to be out in the open more

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen with three different bubble tips and no peppermint shrimp in the tank. I think it was either they didn’t like my water chemistry or my lights were to strong.

SaicoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one go into the overflow and went down into the filter sock. Its possible its in your sump some where.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, I saw one of them for the first time yesterday. It was just sitting there on the rock. It's now disappeared again but at least I know it's still in there somewhere

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sometimes when they are first introduced into a tank they move around and find a bad spot to land... they get trapped and waste away.. i would recommend moving whatever rock it may have got itself stuck under so that it can see the light again.. hopefully this time it thrives. but, if you leave it in the dark too long it will die.

OP
OP
J

JohnPH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Both are now out in the open and looking happy. I think it must have just taken them a couple of weeks to settle in and get comfortable enough to show themselves

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back