Where I have been, where I am going...(Reef Related)

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Well, here we are. I am writing this post to accomplish two objectives. The first of which is to raise cancer awareness, specifically blood cancer. The second is to answer questions concerning my absence. I'm constantly being asked "when ill be back". Hopefully I can answer that question today.

While a few of you may already know, I was diagnosed with blood cancer a while back. I had a rare type of blood cancer that required a brutal and exhaustive 4 day a week treatment for 10 months. During that time I had very little contact with the outside world as my immune system was extremely vulnerable. While the treatment was tough, I am happy to be cancer free and in remission. I currently undergo maintenance treatment once a month. I am fortunate to have made it through the treatment, as I almost lost my life twice during those 10 long months. I have a new found respect for life and everything that it encompasses.

I would like to stress how important it is for everyone here to get their annual checkup and blood tested. Before being diagnosed I was told by multiple Drs that I was fine and healthy. My blood work exhibited no abnormalities and I was in great shape. Yet, I knew that something wasn’t right. I had a slightly enlarged lymph node and I instinctively felt that something was wrong. It was only after I found a Dr to perform a biopsy that they discovered the cancer. Thankfully I caught it in the early stages, before it spread from my Lymph nodes to my bone marrow. Had I not kept pushing to find out what was wrong I wouldn’t be here today. So please, conduct your yearly physical and always go with your gut feeling. If you sense that something is wrong please check it out. It’s always better to be safe than sorry.

So now you know why I have been absent these past years. Shutting down my systems crushed me. It felt like I lost a great friend or family member. To many of us our setups are more than a glass box filled with water. They are a labor of love and a source of pride. I’ve continuously had a saltwater aquarium running since about the age of 12, and setup my first freshwater tank at 6, so not seeing that characteristic “blue glow” or hearing the soothing sound of water is discouraging. But, with intensive chemotherapy I was unable to take care of my setups so everything had to be shutdown, sold, or sent to storage. The act of shutting down the systems and selling it off hit me harder than the cancer diagnosis. I have been lurking around the forums for quite some time and have lived vicariously through you all.

I am very happy to see that some of the corals that JimC and I released at Pro Corals, such as the PC Superman and PC Rainbow have been spread wide and far, and grown into beautiful colonies. Its almost like watching your children grow.

With that being said, the good news is I am healthy and planning out my next reef setup(on paper and in my head:p). It may take a while, as medical bills and other expenses take first priority, but I will be back and better than ever! I look forward someday to “fully” being back in this wonderful community of reefers. The reef “itch” is strong and hopefully ill be able to scratch it soon.:D

If anyone needs any advice, help, or wants to talk, about cancer or reefs, please feel free to PM me. I'm in the SPS forum lurking around if you need me. :cool:

-Sonny

Zoanthkid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is amazing. I saw your tank and then your comment on the r2r fb post the other day and kind of freaked out telling my gf about your tanks and the pc superman and rainbow and how popular they are in the coral world. I'm sure she probably thinks I'm a little nuts with how I told her you're so awesome. But it's more than just the tanks. Everything I've ever seen from you has been amazing. You've always gone above and beyond for absolutely anyone. I'm soooo glad to see you back and hear that you've beaten this terrible monster. Keep up the fight man, looking forward to seeing a new setup come together for you.

Bigfish93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see your back and that you are feeling better! Your reefs have always been my favorite and am copying a lot of things you did with my setup. If my reef is half as nice as yours I will be happy!

arman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish any one have cancers in the world be treated

hotnickz07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gratz Sunny, its a pleasure to have you back and that your doing well. God bless

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Such a welcome and inspirational voice man! So glad to hear your doing better. When that tanks got water in it, let me know and ill be sending a "Reefers care package" your way:)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sorry to hear about the bad times you had. Didn't know and was looking for months where you disappeared!
Very happy to hear that you beat it and can't wait for a follow up post where you inform us that you finished any remaining treatment and starting up your next tank.
Can imagine how heart breaking it is for a dedicated reefer as yourself to shut down his tank but I'm sure the patience, stubbornness and strong will lessons reefkeeping has taught you, have helped you in your fight against cancer.
I hope one day you'll be back home so we can finally meet.
Wish you all the best my friend and you will be in my prayers and the prayers of many many reefers.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update:

I've got pretty much everything ready to go. Skimmer, lighting, rock, pumps, etc are all ready. I'll be do MH/T5 combo for lighting, and using my trusty Deltec Ap851 as a skimmer.

I just need to find a decent aquarium. I'm thinking something along the lines of my old shallow rimless, 48x24x22. The only difference is the new tank will need to be in wall. With three young sons running around I don't want them getting into the aquarium, lol.

I have my eyes out for a tank that is similar in size, eurobraced or with no brace. I can go a little larger but don't want to go too large as it'll create a bit more work for me.

Thanks!

Last edited:

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and welcome back. Your attitude and spirit are alive and well,that is so important. I am sure your continuing story will help people with the same situation you are in.
Nitro

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and welcome back. Your attitude and spirit are alive and well,that is so important. I am sure your continuing story will help people with the same situation you are in.
Nitro
Thank you. If cancer taught me anything it's that attitude is everything. Without a positive attitude I would not have made it through the treatment.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sonny so glad you are back healthy and the family is well. I feel you cancer is such a life changer I'm praying for you and your family. So cool you're back home and ready to show everyone how it's done lol. I dream of a reef like yours have been. If interested I know of a rimless 48x30x22.5 corner overflow reef ready with stand for 500 by us in GR MI. Has starfire front and side. Take care and if I can ever help you with something just let me know. You've been good to us at swaps and glad to return the favor.

OP
OP
SunnyX

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Sonny so glad you are back healthy and the family is well. I feel you cancer is such a life changer I'm praying for you and your family. So cool you're back home and ready to show everyone how it's done lol. I dream of a reef like yours have been. If interested I know of a rimless 48x30x22.5 corner overflow reef ready with stand for 500 by us in GR MI. Has starfire front and side. Take care and if I can ever help you with something just let me know. You've been good to us at swaps and glad to return the favor.

Thank you. You know all too well how cancer can change your life. I hope that you're doing well and hope to see you one of these times at a local swap. You were a pleasure to speak with and have a great heart.

JoaoTomas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations for having won this battle!! And Welcome back!!

Nowadays i still see your tanks threads because is an inspiration for me and i still use vodka because of you!!! I´m very happy to see you back!

njreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When individuals are interested in the hobby and ask me questions, many times I'll pull up pictures and videos of your previous systems to show them what's possible. Your systems have always been an inspiration to me. This is where you belong.

So glad you're cancer free my friend. I'm eagerly holding my ticket for a ride on your next reefing voyage.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I had missed this post as I had wondered where you disappeared to. Glad to hear you are in remission, that's awesome! Welcome back Sonny!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back