Where is all my salt going?

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi good people
I have a issue with my salinity dropping continuously. I start at 1.026/35ppt and daily it keepscreaping down. In the last 4 days it has dropped to 1.024/32ppt. I have just started dosing with AQ powders and I am at a loss what is going on. to my thoughts (with my ATO s/w off) salinity should be going up due to evaporation....
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also I cal my refractometer with salifert 35ppt liquid and it is spot on before each use

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi good people
I have a issue with my salinity dropping continuously. I start at 1.026/35ppt and daily it keepscreaping down. In the last 4 days it has dropped to 1.024/32ppt. I have just started dosing with AQ powders and I am at a loss what is going on. to my thoughts (with my ATO s/w off) salinity should be going up due to evaporation....
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Also I cal my refractometer with salifert 35ppt liquid and it is spot on before each use
Are you running a skimmer wet.

Dumping skimmate will drop salinity

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi good people
What instrument are you using to measure salinity, and how are you calibrating it?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verify your salinity measurement with a 2nd method.
Maybe even take a sample to lfs for test.
How big is thetank?

Tiki_Reef

My daily driver is a nano.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself one of these as a second method of testing.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back