Where is my other Clownfish??

Califish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 1 year 9 month old 40 gallon aquarium with 40lbs of live rock with Hawaiian black sand bottom. I have the following inhabitants:

1 Yellow Tang
1 Damselfish
1 Banggai Cardinal
1 LTA Anemone (introduced about 3-4 months ago)
2 (or shall I say 1?) Clarkie Clownfish

2 days ago the anemone moved from the back of the tank to the front as shown in the picture. I noticed yesterday that I am only seeing the 1 Clown playing in the anemone. A few days ago both were fine.

I have searched all over my tank without moving rock and I can only locate the 1 Clown. Is it possible that one of them died and the anemone ate it? Or are the Clowns playing hide-and-seek with me?
IMG_3553.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I will try to help a bit. I have never kept the Ckarli clowns but have kept many other types of clowns over the years. I have had some go missing that I never again found, I’ve had some go missing that showed up again a few weeks later, and I’ve had some go missing that I eventually found the remains of.

although it is unlikely that the anemone would eat your clown fish, it is possible. If the fish was sick, or something caused it to lose its slime coat
then the anemone certainly could have killed it and eating it. It depends on how big the Clarki was and how big the anemone is.

Do you have a lid on your tank? Although clowns are not known for jumping they can jump if they get spooked. Check behind the tank and all around it. Next if you have a cleanup crew and the clown died, it is very likely they got to it before you saw it and not leave a trace.

Whatever did happen to your clown, I would not tear your tank apart looking for it. That will cause stress to the remaining inhabitants. If he is alive he will show up again. If he is dead you will either find the remains or the cleanup crew got him. Either way you look at it there’s nothing you can do at this point but wait

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Califish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. About 1 hour after I wrote my post I discovered it. About a foot away tucked between the back of the cabinet and the wall. I was surprised how far it landed. Even more surprised that in a 40 gallon tank two 2" long clownfish will not get along.

I will look into some type of cover going forward.

Thanks again

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.4%

Back