where should i try to keep my parameters

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20-gallon mixed reef aquarium with 2 acans two different zoanthids a Kryptonite Candy Cane two ricordea a bunch of small green BTA and a small SPS that I forgot the name ill attach a photo of it I also have 2 clownfish a mandarin dragonette and a Moyer's leopard wrasse. But my question was what should I do to keep my parameters at I have had the system running for more than a year it has cyano green hair algae and many other types of pest algae it also is growing Coraline algae my corals have not noticeably grown since I've gotten them my kryptonite has lost the flesh on the stem but still has the heads and has split once ill attach a photo I don't know what I should do or what I'm doing wrong I plan on getting more SPS and more LPS if that helps with anything
these are my parameters these are from today I test alk calcium and mag with the red sea pro foundation and phosphate I test with Salifert everything else is API
Alk9.5
Calcium440
Magnesium1360
Phosphate0.25
Nitrate 10
Ph7.9
Salinity1.026
Temp79

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the photos of the SPS and the kryptonite candy cane with no stem flesh
43126842-D807-4F50-BFA5-A371924D36B5.jpeg
87385EBE-C090-4C40-BF94-4336A268467B.jpeg
35DCBA74-69BA-42AC-8D7C-9507C3D39A93.jpeg
FE4164C9-61A4-4986-B7C3-E6D2E141395D.jpeg

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly there no correct numbers as far as parameters go if you try to aim for what works for other people it may just have you chasing numbers. I would try to aim for some recommended numbers and test often and find what works best for you. I can share some recommendations for numbers to try to aim for if you’d like. And as far a po4 test for salifert goes i had very unrealistic numbers from this test often i would see no reading at all. I highly recommend hanna for po4 its way more user friendly and accurate. After i started testing with Hanna i got readings of 0.05 when i was reading 0 with salifert. I would say you mag, alk, no3 and cal all look good. Po4 is definitely on the high side If the number is correct. ph is a little on the low side As well. I notice you didn’t mention anything about lights. What are you running? Do you have a good amount of water agitation? This can help with low ph.

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna ULR phosphate on the way and that's what I had on hand and I am running a ai prime and have a hang on the back filter and a Hydor 600 the hang on the back filter makes just a little bit of surface agitation to where i have small amounts of bubbles coming up I also have a limewood airstone that is not being used at the moment should I run that to try to increase my PH If so how long and when should I run it

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will definitely give you a better reading for po4. What type of setting are you running on the prime? Hydo 600 isn’t that a grow light fro plants? How high is the light off the water surface? Do you have any added flow in the tank other than the hob filter like a wave maker that would be a better way to create better water agitation than an stone. As for addition to oxygen I would look to a protein skimmer this will also help eliminate po4.

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my light, I have a prime, not a Hydor the ai prime to be exact I have a wavemaker by the company Hydor its a koralia 600gph and I'll attach a screenshot of my lighting setting the front end of the light is 6 in from the water surface and the back is 7 in from the water surface its at an angle

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light seems a little close to the water surface imo. I would say the light is more to blame than poor water quality. I would look to brs to help you with the placement of your light and possibly a better program to run for the light as well. They have a tons of helpful videos on YouTube and even give you a base start to par with the setting they are running. For all different size tanks. I run the saxby setting at 70% on my prime and my light is closer to 10 inches off the water.

Attachments

• 1F5150E8-A893-4AAD-A992-EFAC6BF1DC61.png
    1F5150E8-A893-4AAD-A992-EFAC6BF1DC61.png
    425.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 00323274-7AF2-44A2-9D01-C70D8B6A7F4B.jpeg
    00323274-7AF2-44A2-9D01-C70D8B6A7F4B.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the reason whh its so clos is beacaue it was the only way i could get areas with high par i did use a par meter when setting up my light i have spots with 300 par for hopefully some future acros and the resr is mostly around 150 or less then a 100

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although my lighting period was shortened a week ago from this one

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just work on keeping them stable. I’ve been reading a lot from the Skeptical Reef Keeper, and it really makes you think.

Figure out where you want your tank. Let it go through its cycles. If you don’t like some of the alga, harvest them. But if you look at reefs in documentaries, you’ll see mixed corals with algae growing. :)

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I have learned there is no correct amount of time to run your lights I have been running my light for 12+ Hrs since the start of my tank. I’ve Seen people running there lights that long have tons of algae problem. It’s just different for everyone if you let your tank go threw the stages more than trying to correct them with chemicals. You’ll eventually find a sweet spot that’s just right for you. Stability in everything is the biggest key. Light and water. Every little change can stress corals and this can lead to slow growth.

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just try to keep the parameters stable

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And where should i keep my nitrates and phos at if i dont want algae but still want fast coral growth

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual best answer is to keep your parameters inline with your artificial salt water. This ensures water change maintain stability!

OP
OP
maxone

maxone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inline with the saltmix i use cause I use red sea pro and i got zoas and heard that they don't do well in high alkalinity

kingjames_dc5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The actual best answer is to keep your parameters inline with your artificial salt water. This ensures water change maintain stability!
I second this. This will help you keep the tank at your desired parameters with water changes. Watch your corals test regularly and when you start to see them happy aim for those numbers. I would honestly keep po4 lower than 0.05 or you will start to see a significant increase in algae growth. Your No3 is around what i run my tank at i dont see that being a issue honestly. If your worried about your alk which is within the desired range imo You can always change your salt.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back