Where to buy blue LED's

  • Thread starter Thread starter specialk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 13, 2013
Messages
1,001
Reaction score
297
Location
Cleveland / Lakewood, Ohio
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all ....I am sure there are posts with many suggestions, but wondering if there is a go to place to buy some blue LED's so I can replace some burned out one's on my Ocean Revive's. Need to get them replaced right away and I tried emailing OR and ... crickets. (Nice customer support)
 
Yah know what that is a great question... I am not sure. But what you assume is probably right. The lights I have are the S026's.

I will go ahead and buy these now ..
 
The wattage is more of a "class" thing..actual wattage is determined by the constant current driver and the diode voltage at that current..
i.e 3.7V x 550mA (common driver current) is 2.03W.. Using a "3W class" diode..
@ 550mA and normal voltage (3.7 something) wil overheat a "1W class" diode.

5W are just 2 3w in series on one chip..see the voltage difference..
6.5V x 550mA (Convert to amps) is 3.57W

IF the driver has enough voltage (usually has a min and max output voltage) it's possible to use 5W-ers. It's just like making the string longer..

Secondary effect is increased heating which could be a problem.

Look at the driver, it's max voltage, and how many diodes are in one string..
For now prob. best to stick w/ 3W...

As to which blue.. personal opinion..and based on looks "mostly" though the royal blue is preferred..mixtures of royal blue and blue have a better photosynthetic spread
but you start getting into the windex look..

Violet, Royal blue, blue, cyan mixes are mostly look orientated choices..
 
Last edited:
That ebay link above is a good choice, but note they are coming out of China, and the lead time will be multiple weeks. If you're happy with that, and need a larger quantity, HERE is the 50 pack I ordered. Oh, and you want 3W, and most likely Royal Blue.
 
Why I waffle a bit on "which blue"...
Can't determine voltage w/out the exact output but most seem to be like 55-90V-ish range.
At 90V one could run 28 3.2V Led's..since most are in the 55 diode range (27, 28 diodes per channel)
adding more diodes i.e 5w-ers is unlikely..
emitter-spectrums.jpg
 
Last edited:
Why I waffle a bit on "which blue"...
Can't determine voltage w/out the exact output but most seem to be like 55-90V-ish range.
At 90V one could run 28 3.2V Led's..since most are in the 55 diode range (27, 28 diodes per channel)
adding more diodes i.e 5w-ers is unlikely..
emitter-spectrums.jpg

This is really good stuff right here ... always learning. I like this ... thanks for posting and helping!
 
That ebay link above is a good choice, but note they are coming out of China, and the lead time will be multiple weeks. If you're happy with that, and need a larger quantity, HERE is the 50 pack I ordered. Oh, and you want 3W, and most likely Royal Blue.
This one looks like it may get to me quicker then the ones from China ...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new