Where to buy quality wrasses?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AWIL57
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

AWIL57

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2019
Messages
262
Reaction score
117
Location
Phoenix
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am trying to figure out where you all have had success buying wrasses locally. I've bought fish at two different stores and so far. Store 1 has great, healthy fish that have all thrived but can't reliably get the fish I am seeking. Store 2 has a 33% success rate selling me fish that have lived but they can get the kinds of fish I'm looking for. I'd like to hear places that you use and trust in the area. If I have to go online I'm willing to do that as well but would prefer to support locally.

Thanks!
 
My LFS is killer for wrasses. Just blocks from my house which is a curse and blessing at the same time
 
I’m located pretty far from you ( Hayward Ca )
 
Haha. I actually just moved back to AZ from Fremont about 10 months ago.
 
I have never had luck with any wrasses other than six lines and I love wrasses. Aquarium Arts and Reef Monsters have had the best variety and healthiest wrasses I have seen locally. Aquarium Arts just got a bunch of leopard wrasses on Thursday that are very active and look healthy. I almost got one but decided to wait another week for them to acclimate more. The Coral Life has healthy fish but selection is small, the fish system is smaller and still new so nothing bad towards The Coral Life and I know more is coming soon. The coral selection is always great. The Pet Shop has the room for a lot of fish but never has much other than clown fish, plenty of empty tanks. Most of the fish I see there dont look too great and I see a lot of "sorry we are sick" tags on their tanks. I expect a lot of neglect is happening in their saltwater department, seems to have carried over from Pets Inc. These 3 are my main go to LFS.
 
Thank you very much! I haven't made it in to Aquarium Arts yet. Will have to go take a look.
 
Not too many people better suited to comment on Wrasse then our own Evolved. You may want to try PM him. He has a serious wrasse addiction.
 
Haha already did! He told me to ask around on here because most of what he gets now isn't from local sources. :)
 
I have found the best selection in terms quality / price to be Kona Reef up off of the 101 and Shea. The staff are extremely friendly, and selection is what I believe to be the best in the Phoenix metro area.
 
I have found the best selection in terms quality / price to be Kona Reef up off of the 101 and Shea. The staff are extremely friendly, and selection is what I believe to be the best in the Phoenix metro area.
I've used Kona for 5 of the 6 fish in my tank now and they are always awesome but they aren't always able to accommodate the fish I'm looking for. I will have to check in with them again though.
 
My LFS is killer for wrasses. Just blocks from my house which is a curse and blessing at the same time
Do you mind naming your fish store. Live in Modesto but willing to drive for a great fish store.
 
Not too many people better suited to comment on Wrasse then our own Evolved. You may want to try PM him. He has a serious wrasse addiction.
Haha already did! He told me to ask around on here because most of what he gets now isn't from local sources. :)
Yeah, guilty...
I know as club president I should be all about supporting our local stores, but truth be told it's probably been over 5 years that I've purchased a fish locally. 90% of what I'm after these days just can't be obtained by our local stores. :(
 
I have purchased a radiant, leopard, rose, and pintail wrasse from reef monsters. All doing great and some almost a couple years old now. I have a magma wrasse for almost 2 years and it was purchased online and shipped. A good friend gave me a pink streaked wrasse and they are super cool. Shop around or ask the shop to see if they can get special request. JP
 
Artistic Aquariums in Chandler has been getting a couple of various Fairy wrasses a week in... They go fast thought usually (first 1-2 days)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new