Where to buy real live rock?

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a good source for real live rock. Not dry rock or man made rock and not $10 a pound expensive either. Where is all the $5 a pound live rock?

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa Bay Saltwater at tampabaysaltwater.com is one source I know of. I used to get real live rock from Walt Smith but not sure if that is stil possible.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard is the man he has been diving and selling live rock since the beginning of Reef tanks using live rock.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a good source for real live rock. Not dry rock or man made rock and not $10 a pound expensive either. Where is all the $5 a pound live rock?

LOL 5 bucks a pound you might be able to get some Haiti rock! @DesertReefT4r - Right here!! I am getting ready to break down my current 120 that has way over 50lbs of the Old School Tonga branch which you can no longer get and another 50 lbs of Premium Fiji.

There is one pcs in my 120 thats a show
pieces. It's the large Tonga Branch which it's weight alone is 28lbs, just one rock. You might be able to see it stretching across the tank.

My live rock has been under water for over 15 years with ZERO algae on any of them. I would prefer for a local pick up but I will ship if need to be. PM me and Let me know because ones i put this rock up for sale in the proper area it will go real quick.
Email me for me details....here is a pic of it currently now in my 120 that I am tearing down for my SCA150 upgrade. FYI, the only reason why I am selling all my live rock is i already bought my #Vidarock and @AquaRocks center show pcs.. On my upgrade I will be going with less rock and more coral so that's why I am getting rid of all my Tonga and Fiji

21122525_10214504324430573_5784211325505097985_o.jpg

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

OP
OP
DesertReefT4r

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im in Arizona. I habe never liked the Tampa Bay rock from the pics I have seen, its just not my style. Pukani and khalini is my perfered live rock, Fiji as well. Also the ordering method for Tampa Bay has always been off putting to me. Why dont they have online ordering and payment, sorry dont want to fill out and send in forms and hope all goes well. Also do t want to drive all the to the air port to pick up rock.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out live rock and reef Its as advertised and right to your door ...But it will COST!

IF I was In the market for rock I would be all over Shark Bait's offer!!!!!!!!!!!

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that sadly, the days of getting great, straight from the pacific live rock are over. Heavy man made or dry or south Florida rock seems to be the options now. I miss the days of hitting up Premium Aquatics for some premium Kaelini. I just googled around and found some real sources out there still but the vendors, I have never personally used.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics is another great source but unless you want to pay $10 a lb, your going to have to go to the airport. $6.5 x 50 lb min.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an FYI on Tampa Bay Saltwater - he has punkani that he has maricultured as well, not just the south FL quarried rock and Walt Smith 2.0 stuff. You just have to ask for it when you order.

As for the order form, phone call and/or email process, it's really pretty quick and simple. I ordered a 20lb 'package' two years ago. It was pretty quick and painless ... even despite the fact that I did it over the the Xmas and New Years holiday week.

Just a guess, but I suspect it's not a 100% online order process because there are a lot of choices involved - such as letting them know what type of rock you want, what size pieces your prefer, etc. - and AFAIK, they're just a small family operation without the manpower or marketing budget to manage a website cart that sophisticated. And they don't really need it ... their customer service is fantastic. Search the forums for dissatisfied customers and you probably won't find many.

As for the picking it up at the airport part ... the shipping is already expensive (but worth it IMHO given the insane amount of life on the rocks) because it ships fully covered in water (vs wet newspaper)...

Shipping via freight on daily passenger planes to local airports is the only way to keep the cost from being so insane that it would be unfeasible. Like I said, it's been 2 years since I ordered mine ... but I believe he does offer FedEx overnight if you really want it. Just make sure you're sitting down and have smelling salts on hand before you ask for the FedEx shipping cost.

Not trying to sell you on it. Just want to pass along some firsthand experience to help you make an informed choice since there really aren't many options left anymore for true 'live rock' available these days.

Back