Where to find wild caught true perculas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Johnnyg.
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Johnnyg.

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 14, 2017
Messages
86
Reaction score
45
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking for nice wild caught true percula pair forever now. I like them much more than the captive bred ones we often see. I’m located in NY. I never see them at any lfs anymore. Here’s a few examples of what I’m looking for.

F15282AE-E528-4D57-B08D-7D3EC14A47A3.png B2D84239-7A7B-4FED-B28C-EED531482AD4.jpeg E0FD9461-0E03-41D3-AF67-CE990A8464B7.jpeg
 
I’ve been looking for nice wild caught true percula pair forever now. I like them much more than the captive bred ones we often see. I’m located in NY. I never see them at any lfs anymore. Here’s a few examples of what I’m looking for.

F15282AE-E528-4D57-B08D-7D3EC14A47A3.png B2D84239-7A7B-4FED-B28C-EED531482AD4.jpeg E0FD9461-0E03-41D3-AF67-CE990A8464B7.jpeg


Our LFS's still occasionally carry them, but you're right, they don't carry them often anymore either. People want crazy designer clowns. Maybe you can ask your LFS to order you a pair?
 
Our LFS's still occasionally carry them, but you're right, they don't carry them often anymore either. People want crazy designer clowns. Maybe you can ask your LFS to order you a pair?
Not just designer fish, but a lot of reefers don't want to keep plucking things out of the ocean.
 
Not just designer fish, but a lot of reefers don't want to keep plucking things out of the ocean.
Well I’m looking to pluck two more and hopefully breed them.
 
I have 23 clowns and 17 otw. All captive bred. I get it. But we have to start somewhere right? A lot of captive fish look deformed.
 
Contribution to the discussion of taking percula from the wild: it won't make a dent. Now I am not talking about other species of marine fish, just percula in particular.

https://repository.library.noaa.gov/view/noaa/10369

In 2016, there was an estimated 13 to 18 million individuals in the wild, and that's a conserved estimate. So far has not seemed like anything significantly affected percula populations.

So even if we collect a thousand percula, that is still less than 0.01% of their wild populations. And that's a conserved estimate.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new