Where to get Thalassiosira cultures?

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this diatom is quite common in aquaculture, mainly for shrimps, but I can't seem to find any decent source for a culture for me to start from. In addition, places like AlgaeBarn blend them in with their phyto feeds they sell.... but thats clearly not pure.The most promising seems to be from Carolina Supply Company (but they don't know the species, and its apparently quite contaminated) and some random Amazon listing for what appears to be a culture for 35 students? The description for that one is quite poor. I was hoping that perhaps a fellow reefer has a culture going on?

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this diatom is quite common in aquaculture, mainly for shrimps, but I can't seem to find any decent source for a culture for me to start from. In addition, places like AlgaeBarn blend them in with their phyto feeds they sell.... but thats clearly not pure.The most promising seems to be from Carolina Supply Company (but they don't know the species, and its apparently quite contaminated) and some random Amazon listing for what appears to be a culture for 35 students? The description for that one is quite poor. I was hoping that perhaps a fellow reefer has a culture going on?
The folks at @AlgaeBarn are incredibly friendly and helpful. Have you tried reaching out to them to see if they can possibly sell you an individual culture?

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folks at @AlgaeBarn are incredibly friendly and helpful. Have you tried reaching out to them to see if they can possibly sell you an individual culture?
I've actually decided to just buy the cultures from Carolina's. I figured that as long as the contamination was not a predator or another phyto, it should be OK for my use case.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have a new culture you may want to check out:

Hit buy now to get a special deal on CocoPods and OceanMilk!⁣

Attachments

• Cocopods-and-OceanMilk-product-image2-e1617253238784.png
    Cocopods-and-OceanMilk-product-image2-e1617253238784.png
    541 KB · Views: 40

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back