Where to go in Huntsville?

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a store in the Huntsville area to start getting supplies like salt (Reef Crystals) and food (LRS or Rod's) from. Must be open on Saturday. Would also be nice if they had a good selection of medicines, and other supplies. Any suggestions?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a store in the Huntsville area to start getting supplies like salt (Reef Crystals) and food (LRS or Rod's) from. Must be open on Saturday. Would also be nice if they had a good selection of medicines, and other supplies. Any suggestions?
If you want Reef Crystals you will need to go to Petco.

Aquatic Cove in Madison is a very nice store and they carry LRS.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Aquatic Cove yesterday. Was a nice store, and a nice 3 hour drive. I picked up a few things, including 5 emerald crabs to try and get rid of some bubble algae in one of my tanks. They ended up being a nice expensive snack for my blue head wrasse! So I just ordered some Vibrant. Hopefully that will work on the bubble algae.

DeepBrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the Vibrant. I had cyano problems, nitrates went to zero and corals were unhappy dosing 2 times weekly. I backed off to once every two weeks, it takes longer but now I have cleaner tanks without the other issues.

I'm in Chattanooga, no one here carries LRS and I've thought about going to Aquatic Cove but there's a place in Kennesaw, GA a bit closer to me. I may make a road trip to Aquatic Cove some day just set to check them out.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed part of the Vibrant thread, and I will be starting with the once every 2 week dosing. This tank is FOWLR, because I wanted a butterfly and an angle, so I got the saltwater version.

The drive to Aquatic Cove was relaxing. I stayed off the interstate. They seemed to have a good selection of coral and fish.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best remedy for bubble algae that I have found is Foxface/Rabbitfish. They have never failed to clean up all of them that they can reach. I remember buying 12 emerald crabs for a 225 years ago. Sometimes at night I could see a few of them with a flashlight. I remember seeing an emerald crab with his elbow propped up on a bubble while picking at the rock, never touched the bubble. They finally all disappeared. I think they ate each other.

BTW, I wouldn't let dwarf angels or butterflies stop you from having coral. I have 3 Cherub Angels, 1 Coral Beauty, 1 Bi-Color Angel, and a Klein's Butterfly with a lot of SPS with no problems.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I'll be adding a foxface to the tank instead of the yellow tang that I got for the tank, who is currently in QT with ick.
While moving some rock work around yesterday, I found a small piece of SPS that I think is still alive. It must have survived the die off I had a few months ago that killed all SPS within about a week. The rock the piece was on must have gotten flipped over right after the die off when I went through the rock work getting all the skeletons off. I've got the piece on the sandbed up close to the glass so I can keep an eye on it.
BTW, the angle in an Eibli and the butterfly is a Pearlscale. I may try a stick or 2 and maybe a plating monti once I get the parameters back under control.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a fan of Reef Life in Birmingham? It's ~1 hour less of a drive round trip.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, the angle in an Eibli and the butterfly is a Pearlscale. I may try a stick or 2 and maybe a plating monti once I get the parameters back under control.

I'd be scared of the Pearlscale. That one will almost surely munch on your corals.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pearlscale is a pig! Eats everything, and is almost as aggressive at feeding time as the blue head wrasse.

I will never step foot back in Reef Life!!! I'll make that 3 hour trip or order online.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been to the store in Guntersville, Tonys Aquarium. It's just opened, and it seems as soon as his order comes in every Thursday or Friday, the folks up there clean him out!
I think I've been to the one in Montgomery a couple years ago, may make the drive to Montgomery in a couple weeks and check out that store again.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something about Rising Tide, but thought it was basically just coral. Is there a store with supplies, salt, maybe live food such as worms?

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw something about Rising Tide, but thought it was basically just coral. Is there a store with supplies, salt, maybe live food such as worms?
Small dry goods in stock, but definitely more focused on aquacultured coral.
And a small section of aquaculture fish.
Other than that, Aquatic Cove is the best bet. But overpriced.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I'll keep them in mind when I set up my next tank, which will be a reef tank. The two I have now are FOWLR.

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. We carry Fritz salt, Jumbo's Gumbo, Hanna Checkers, and the full line of Triton products.

BTW, RTA is my business. Lol.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure. We carry Fritz salt, Jumbo's Gumbo, Hanna Checkers, and the full line of Triton products.

BTW, RTA is my business. Lol.
I honestly had no idea you guys were in HSV. I don't head into HSV too often but I need to check out your store one of these days.

mattsreefadise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly had no idea you guys were in HSV. I don't head into HSV too often but I need to check out your store one of these days.
Yeah we're small and don't advertise much on here.
Mostly do Facebook posts, but chime in here from time to time.

I try to take away business from the LFS, but sometimes I just beat their prices because they are WAYY too high.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back