Where to purchase acrylic aquariums in Bay Area

stchandl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after about 10 years away. Looking to purchase a new acrylic tank. It will need to have some customization, at least I think it will. I'm going to run all the plumbing, sump, etc to/from another room (other side of wall). Looking at a tank size of approx 150 gal-ish (72x20x24 is what I would like).

Where are folks going in the bay area for purchasing tanks? I would like a good quality tank.

thanks in advance

Steve

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting back into the hobby after about 10 years away. Looking to purchase a new acrylic tank. It will need to have some customization, at least I think it will. I'm going to run all the plumbing, sump, etc to/from another room (other side of wall). Looking at a tank size of approx 150 gal-ish (72x20x24 is what I would like).

Where are folks going in the bay area for purchasing tanks? I would like a good quality tank.

thanks in advance

Steve
I got you, are you looking to build it yourself?

Edit: they got some bad pr lately so nvm I don’t want to recommend a company that isn’t going to be perfect for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stchandl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking to build myself. Looking to order from a manufacturer and would prefer to be local (if possible) because of shipping costs.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not looking to build myself. Looking to order from a manufacturer and would prefer to be local (if possible) because of shipping costs.
Depending on your budget have you looked into ATM? They definitely make a quality tank. Just out of reach for most lol.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s anywhere in the SF Bay Area that sells acrylic any more. It use to be Truvue but they moved to I believe Arizona. You can try looking at their website for locals sellers if any. Goodluck!

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not in the Bay but Advanced Acrylics ships free on a lot of their stuff, even larger tanks. Might be work checking out. They can work with your customization needs from what I understand. They're out of So Cal.

powdertang05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oakland aquarium has had many issues with atm. I would ask them before purchasing anything from them. I’ve only purchased sumps from advanced but the quality is on par. Bay bridge aquarium use to build acrylic aquariums. They no longer do it but Michael might know who is good in the area.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea advanced acrylics was who I was referring to earlier lol. Apparently they had a fair amount of tanks crack recently.

OP
OP
S

stchandl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after more research and scouring over these forums it seems that my direction has turned to a glass tank. Looked at a poll that was done on this forum back in 2017 as well and it seems 90% have glass tanks. Seems the best way to go for my 150gal-ish tank. Back to researching glass manufacturers. Although it pains me to even think about what the cost will be to have something like that shipped...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after more research and scouring over these forums it seems that my direction has turned to a glass tank. Looked at a poll that was done on this forum back in 2017 as well and it seems 90% have glass tanks. Seems the best way to go for my 150gal-ish tank. Back to researching glass manufacturers. Although it pains me to even think about what the cost will be to have something like that shipped...
Neptune has massive starphires in stock.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you need customization, find a LFS you trust that will place an order with Advanced Aquatics in Los Angeles. People also have had good things to say about Custom Aquariums based out of Canada as well (they'll deal with you directly)...

Script_Kitty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot depends on where in the Bay area you are.

I am in San Jose, and just got a 105 from neptune while my wife was visiting her mother over cristmss.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take a look at the Red Sea reefer series glass tanks. I bought the 350, and I’m pretty happy with it. I really think they’re price are pretty good which includes the tank, sump, cabinet, and plumbing. Setup is pretty well thought out also, don’t need to think and mess with much. Goodluck!

OP
OP
S

stchandl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank will be plumbed to the garage (other side of wall). It'll be a complete build. I think Red Sea only sells the complete setup.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never mind. just did a quick search on the forums and a ton of hits came up. : )
Their stuff looks nice, and the price reflects that. Wish the warranty was longer when using their stands (they're pretty close to me)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 115 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back