Where to put corals

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Need to a coup,e corals mounted. I’ve just kinda wedeged them into the rock because they wouldn’t all fit on the sand. The problem is I’m not sure where to move a couple of them to. I’ve attached a couple of pictures of my tank, hopefully the pics will help you help me.

This is what I’m thinking about doing. Moving the maroon and yellow coral on the shelf at the center of the rock down to the sand where the blue/green hammer if. Then putting the blur/green Hammer where the maroon coral is. I think the maroon/green coral is a blasto.
Then moving the Dunano n the right down to the lower rock on the right side of the tank.

That’s it. Everything else will stay where it is. Unless you have suggestions about where to move them to.

4B30D045-53CE-404F-A076-6DA9AE2857A9.jpeg C2CADDE3-083F-479E-8409-4E38C55B2D45.jpeg

rastareefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What lights and intensity are you running? You're asking mostly about LPS so they can do fairly well in moderate lighting. You would be able to mount these corals anywhere middle to lower on your rock work.

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would help wouldnt it. Prime 16HD BRS AB+ UV 90 all the blues at about 88 Red and green 4 white 14.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would place lower middle to low in the tank. The AB+ will give you some par suitable for SPS which will be much too high for your LPS.
Meh. I have a 26 running a modified AB getting much higher par numbers and have a frog roughly 375 par. Had a torch next to it but moved it down to 300. Lps can take a ton of par. My buddy has a beautiful neon trumpet colony in 350 par next to his SC Orange passion.

rastareefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh. I have a 26 running a modified AB getting much higher par numbers and have a frog roughly 375 par. Had a torch next to it but moved it down to 300. Lps can take a ton of par. My buddy has a beautiful neon trumpet colony in 350 par next to his SC Orange passion.
Did you have to acclimate them to the higher light over time? Or did you put the LPS under 300+ par right away?

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to keep sps or just lps?

Mainly LPS, I'm working on the light setting to get a higher par near the top of the rock, that's also why I set the scape a little more vertical. I may put a small SPS frag of "something" or maybe some monti near the top. My plan is to move to a 20 or 25 lagoon in the summer so this tank won't see too much more coral...

I've also turned the intensity of the AB+ schedule down, this Nuvo 10 is only 13 inches deep less the inch of sand, it's 12 inches. So not very deep.

I've moved some things around since the pic I posted. I just snapped this picture to put in this post.

The only coral glued down is the candy cane and it's easily moveable.
The hammer has really opened up since I moved it up on the rock. I don't know if it's because it's getting more light or because it's getting less flow. I'd like the torch in the lower left to open more. I have a feeling it's light because I turned the flow a couple of days ago and it hasn't made much difference in the torch.

Also, if you look at the Duncan at the right corner, I moved it there two days ago; to me, it looks like it's stretching for light. Maybe I need to increase the light intensity some? Your thoughts?

Nuvo 10 31220.jpg

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a sps up top, a monti will grow outwards and shade other corals. A birdsnest might be a good choice. Hardy and faster growth than more sensitive acro’s. Do you mean the blasto? Can you get a pic of the piece you’re referring to?
Mainly LPS, I'm working on the light setting to get a higher par near the top of the rock, that's also why I set the scape a little more vertical. I may put a small SPS frag of "something" or maybe some monti near the top. My plan is to move to a 20 or 25 lagoon in the summer so this tank won't see too much more coral...

I've also turned the intensity of the AB+ schedule down, this Nuvo 10 is only 13 inches deep less the inch of sand, it's 12 inches. So not very deep.

I've moved some things around since the pic I posted. I just snapped this picture to put in this post.

The only coral glued down is the candy cane and it's easily moveable.
The hammer has really opened up since I moved it up on the rock. I don't know if it's because it's getting more light or because it's getting less flow. I'd like the torch in the lower left to open more. I have a feeling it's light because I turned the flow a couple of days ago and it hasn't made much difference in the torch.

Also, if you look at the Duncan at the right corner, I moved it there two days ago; to me, it looks like it's stretching for light. Maybe I need to increase the light intensity some? Your thoughts?

Nuvo 10 31220.jpg

OP
OP
DWill

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tip on the birdsnest.. I'll look at them when I'm at AquaSD tomorrow.
The coral I'm asking about stretching for light is the Duncan. I've uploaded a pic.

I'm also trying to figure out the torch (lower left corner) it's just not extending very far. The thing is the hammer did much the same thing when it was near the bottom. When I moved it, it extended a lot more, but, I don't know if it did so because of the light or because of less flow. As I mentioned I turned the flow down a few days ago to see if the torch would extend in lower flow (I'd really like to leave it where it is if I can) so far no change. I turned up the lights a bit yesterday so I'll see if that affects the torch (or anything else).

I have a diffuser on the Prime 16HD I'm guessing that may be affecting the light intensity some.

I haven't scraped the glass yet today, I'm doing water tests as we speak hence the dealy with scraping and the water spots on the glass...

IMG_0438.jpg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 70 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 65 28.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back