Which Anthias should I get?

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have it narrowed down to two options. Option one I get 3 female Lyretail Anthias and down the road get 3 female Pink Square Anthias. Option two I get 3 female Tierra Anthias and later get 3 Dispar anthias. My concerns are that although with option one the fish are hardier they could pick each other off with aggression. My concern with option two is that although they'd be more peaceful they may be too delicate for quarantine in Coppersafe.

I'd love input! This is for a 265 gallon reef.

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my lyretail... I bought a male-female pair, the female died after about a year, but the male is still going strong. Apparently most anthias require multiple feedings per day; so keep that in mind!

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my male square spot. He's a real hog, has maintained his color, and gets along well with the rest of my fish (he hangs out with a clown pair and a fox face). I also had a female that I really liked, as well, but she got to feeling too spunky for my 40 g qt and jumped out when the lid was off. After I purchased the male, he actually jumped out of the bag (as I was attempting to remove him) and landed in the kitchen sink. When I tried to retrieve him he squirted out of my hand like a torpedo and shot seven feet (yes, I measured) thru the air and hit a wall. He is quite hardy.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a group of Stocky Anthias. To handle their feeding needs I used an automatic feeder. Unfortunately it stopped working. I didn't notice in time, and I lost them all I've been manually feeding multiple times a day with my tangs, so I'm hoping adding Anthias won't be too much more trouble.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Lyretails and squares you want more females to disperse the male's aggression. 4 females to one male at least. The Fiji lyretail males look cool too.

7ec64e3425debf127e6c5023fbef52d3.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not personally a big fan of lyretails. They're part of the Franzia sub-genus and among the more aggressive of the pseudoanthis - which makes them easier to feed, but prone to intra-species aggression. I like squares and bimacs much more, but they need space. Pictilis are also really nice, but somewhat more expensive.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fiji lyretail male is never really purple. Just that pinkish red. I only have one female with him right now. Maybe that's why. The male is somewhat aggressive. He chases my wrasses sometime although no real damage.

OP
OP
germs101

germs101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if those are your only options..... option 1
Those are just the options I've come up with after researching. I'm open to other ideas. I also don't want to spend more than $50 per fish, and less would be ideal and allow for more fish in the group.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Fiji lyretail male is never really purple. Just that pinkish red. I only have one female with him right now. Maybe that's why. The male is somewhat aggressive. He chases my wrasses sometime although no real damage.

That's because he's not the Fiji type. Indian / African types end up red / orange.

dacbc9afdb6e258694be45ffd91f5b78.jpg

Zelax25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 females in qt with one red Fiji male and they are doing good with cupramine been going well for 4 weeks in there. 1 week to fatten up. 1 week for pazipro and now 2 weeks in copper.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%

Back