which Apex is right for me?

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright. in the market for an Apex controller. just dunno which one I should get. main things I wanna do with the controller..

1. use as a timer for T5 fixture.. possibly going LED's down the road
2. control heater(s)
3. monitor probes
4. what iPhone app do you use? so I can monitor thru my phone. I already have a camera but being able to monitor the parameters would add extra peace of mind.

I know I have a lot of reading to do since it's been a while since I've looked into getting a new one. but I thought I would post this for those that have had experience with the system can chime in instead of me pm'ing each one of them. haha.

Thanks in advance. looking to order soon.. :)

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following....I have upgrade plans that include Apex. Very interested to hear what people have to say here.

WnYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have the apex jr which is Internet ready. I went with this one for budget reasons and I didn't have a lot to monitor but now I'm thinking of getting an energybar 8. With the jr you can or don't have to get the monitor. I use my iPhone for controlling the 4 outlets. Apex has a app in the iTunes Store I believe android also.
It's great to have for those what if situations. One of the best purchases I've made. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright. in the market for an Apex controller. just dunno which one I should get. main things I wanna do with the controller..

1. use as a timer for T5 fixture.. possibly going LED's down the road

apex jr and apex lite do not have 0-10v outlets for led dimming so you would have to add a VDM module at $100.00 to either of those packages in order to support led dimming and after the you add the VDM cost to the apex jr cost you would have been better off just getting the full apex from the start.

2. control heater(s)

Any package can do this.

3. monitor probes

The apex jr has temp probe only so you would need add-on modules to monitor pH, orp, conductivity, etc at roughly $100.00 per module but the apex jr is limited to four modules and that includes the EB8 power bars so you are very limited to probe monitoring plus the cost of the apex jr and any probe modules will quickly add up to the cost of an apex lite or full apex which have integrated probes and unlimited module support.

4. what iPhone app do you use? so I can monitor thru my phone. I already have a camera but being able to monitor the parameters would add extra peace of mind.

Neptune has a smart phone app. I know there is an android app, cant say about iphone but I suspect they have iphone support.

Any controller that has a web server can be reached from any phone that has a web browser so a phone app is not really essential as long as the controller's web service is mobile device friendly (i.e. adapts the format of the web pages to fit mobile screens).

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, if all I want is to use the controller for lights, temp, pH, and be able to monitor/control the controller remotely; I should be good with the Apex Lite version?

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, if all I want is to use the controller for lights, temp, pH, and be able to monitor/control the controller remotely; I should be good with the Apex Lite version?

Unless you want to dim the lights. The apex lite plus the VDM module (for dimming lights) will cost as much as a full apex and you will not have the second pH circuit that the full apex comes with.

Fieroguy19

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have 1-10v dimmable lights, use variable speed Tunze pumps, or want to monitor ORP, then it would be cheaper to just get the Apex. I don't need those things and bought the Apex Lite.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have T5's. but if go with the full Apex and switch to LED's, I'll be able to dim the lights from my phone correct?

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always read the only difference between the two is the Apex has an extra probe port and the variable speed ports to control power heads or dim leds.

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knowing the limitations of the lite and how much it typically costs I would go with the apex. More bang for your buck and In the long run you are much better off in my opinion. Love the apex, I have yet to find something it can't do.

Brent \><{{{{*>
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. the reason I ask is.. I always seem to buy the latest and most expensive system but don't ever get around to using all of the functions. LoL. that's totally my fault though. haha..

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back