Which are best small schooling fish? Success?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for blue eyed/long spine cardinals. They group really well.

Another excellent species for a group, although they won't tightly shoal, is allens damsels. They bicker a little amongst themselves but don't cause any issues. They really make a great addition.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for blue eyed/long spine cardinals. They group really well.

Another excellent species for a group, although they won't tightly shoal, is allens damsels. They bicker a little amongst themselves but don't cause any issues. They really make a great addition.
Never seen them here in india, lets see. Have told my lfs. Or will have to go with chromis.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent blue eyed cardinals delicate? Have seen a few vids on youtube

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread fin cardinals. Very cheap, very small, very easy and they school.

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv had a bangai kill other bangai. Do u think i should try with 10 chromis?
Yeah, not exactly delicate--unless you mean structurally.;)
This is accurate. Firefish don't work out as a group in aquaria. They are intolerant of consexuals, don't change gender like many other marine species, and if 2 do pr off they will dispose of the rest.

Some species of cardinals are very social and tolerant of their own kind(blue eye, pj, parvulus), others are quite intolerant of their own kind unless a pr(bangaii, orange stripe, red stripe.
Yeah, I was going for Bangaii and red. I don't mean to say all cardinals go on killing frenzies.:D

pirate2876

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is accurate. Firefish don't work out as a group in aquaria. They are intolerant of consexuals, don't change gender like many other marine species, and if 2 do pr off they will dispose of the rest.

This could be what the literature says but, in my case the 5 red and 1 purple firefish cohabit beautifully. Im not sure what the male/female ratio is but, I believe the get along so well because of them being on the bottom tier of the aggression ladder in my tank. I would happily provide pictures if you like.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be what the literature says but, in my case the 5 red and 1 purple firefish cohabit beautifully. Im not sure what the male/female ratio is but, I believe the get along so well because of them being on the bottom tier of the aggression ladder in my tank. I would happily provide pictures if you like.
There are exceptions to everything, but for the vast majority of those that attempt groups of firefish they end up with one or 2. That's not based off of literature, that's based off of first and second hand experiences.

They may be fine temporarily, but over a relatively short period of time they begin eliminating others. Hopefully your case is the exception, but the reality is for most is it will not work out after six months to a year.

BlennyKravitz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chromis is the only fish I've seen successfully schooled in captivity. As stated, it was in a very large tank, maybe 125g. It was also a larger school, like 12 or more.
I've had six since day one (started with 9) in a 60" 110G tank. All Model citizens. One is kind of a loaner and doesn't hang out with the rest. He's also the only one who's up at night goofing around the tank. Great color and they eat anything. Never touch coral or inverts.

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 chromis, have had them for 6 months no issues whatsoever. They've doubled in size and are all fat & happy with about 25 other fish

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for the blue eyes or longspine cardinals... mine are always together...i need to add to my group..
9ef4b6d6ee1f08b88699d659dad2a57d.jpg

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 Chromis in a 60 cube for a couple years before I sold the tank. I currently have 3 Chromis in my tank that is a shallow 25 gallon for going on 6 months now. They school together constantly, no bickering or apparent fighting, all 3 are fat and growing. I feed daily. I always hear about people having problems with them fighting and killing each other, but has not been my experience. They are funny to watch because as soon as I walk in my office, they're right there looking at me at the glass waiting for food. Even when I'm just sitting in my office chair, it's like I can hear them "feed us, feed us"

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had six since day one (started with 9) in a 60" 110G tank. All Model citizens. One is kind of a loaner and doesn't hang out with the rest. He's also the only one who's up at night goofing around the tank. Great color and they eat anything. Never touch coral or inverts.
I think if i dont get the cardinals, ill go for 8 for my 130g not 10. Will buy 4bg and 4g. Anthias too looks great, but they dont fit my budget or wud have added. But might consider adding 2. Thanks guys.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howmany times do i feed the chromis to reduce the agression just in case.?

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep Longspine is the way to go. I have around 20 and they all school together they also like to be feed a few times a day

I'll also go with the green chromosome. I've done it a several times with all of my tanks over the years. and just started another school with my new 220g tank. They're some of my favorite fish. Inexpensive and beautiful. Mine have always been mild tempered. Now here's what I've learned and come to beleieve...

There's always a dieoff in the beginning. I wanted 7 in my school so i ordered 12 from Liveaquaria. 2 were DOA and 3 more died in QT. Like magic I'm left with 7 that are now I'm my display and schooling.

I've come to believe this high rate of death is a result of how they're captured with cyanide. At least that's what I've heard. Also what makes them so inexpensive to buy. The cyanide has long term effects. I wouldn't be surprised if more of my new school die. Could also be dynamics of the group aka bullying.

Which brings me to my second belief....

For one reason or another I always wind up with an odd number. If I had 8 right now soon enough one would disappear. Again part of the group dynamic I'm guessing.

My vote all the way is to get a bunch of green chromis, maybe double of what you want to keep. In a few months whatever is left will be healthy and fat and should life awhile. I've always seen what school In my 220. And so beautiful!!

Good luck!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with Trimma rubromaculatus. They stay small and I've found them to be hardy and not require specialized feeding. They tend to stick together and will hover in a group ~8" off the bottom most of the time.

Linda92677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to know which are the best small schooling fishes? That don't kill each other like chromis.

Or

Has anyone kept multiple chromis successfully?
We've had a school of green chromis for about 6 years now. Have to agree with BH750. We bought a school of 6, 4 died. Ordered 6 more and this time, only 2 died. So our original school ended up being 6. The runt was bullied and not allowed to eat. He died. Another had some funky jaw problem and didn't make it. One mysteriously vanished. We've had the remaining odd number of 3 for 4 years. Quite the interesting school. Mama Chromis is proud and fierce and holds her own against our tangs! Beware though- they are voracious eaters!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've had a school of green chromis for about 6 years now. Have to agree with BH750. We bought a school of 6, 4 died. Ordered 6 more and this time, only 2 died. So our original school ended up being 6. The runt was bullied and not allowed to eat. He died. Another had some funky jaw problem and didn't make it. One mysteriously vanished. We've had the remaining odd number of 3 for 4 years. Quite the interesting school. Mama Chromis is proud and fierce and holds her own against our tangs! Beware though- they are voracious eaters!!
Have u see them breeding? I saw a few vids last night where they breed in the tank.

Back