Which ATO to get?

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was deciding between the XP Aqua Duetto and the Hydor Smart Level Controller, mostly because the XP Aqua Duetto is on sale. Any opinions?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Hydro for four years. I like the fact that it doesn't have any moving parts that can seize up. I'm not familiar with the other brand.

One thing about the Hydor is that the low/normal/high setpoints are fixed so you can't adjust topoff volume (which is important if you're adding calcium hydroxide to ATO water).

OP
OP
BloopFish

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I want to use my top off for the purpose of also dosing calcium, I should probably find another type? Or could I just simply adjust the concentration of the top off solution?

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I want to use my top off for the purpose of also dosing calcium, I should probably find another type? Or could I just simply adjust the concentration of the top off solution?
Yes, you could do either. The second option only works if you can keep your calcium solution concentration fairly constant, however.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want to dose calcium and carbonate (and magnesium if you need to) outside of your top off. It is better this way.

For me, Tunze Osmolator is the best unit on the market. Most reliable and probably the most used... you see some pump failures out there because they are so widely used, but the pump is like $25.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back