Which blue bar for pop

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys looking for opinions. Going to order 2 reef bars to give blue led pop to an ati 8 bulb. Just sold my reefbrites and dont think I will be investing in those this time. Top choices are SB reef lighting sbars and orphek OR bars. Sbars are dimmable and proven performers. OR bars are not dimmable but cheaper and from a good company but not as proven. I can add a sunsetter to control the OR bars and still be cheaper by a good margin than the sbars. Thoughts? I have used reefbrite and 21led reefbar pros before and both were fine but reefbrite definitely overpriced imo and 21led dont come with brackets so have to be rigged to attach so thinking those are both out. Considered current usa truelumen but other current usa lights I've seen were quite dim and not too keen on cheap Ebay generics just not sure they are totally safe and dont want any fire hazards. So please tell me your experience with sbars or OR bars and please suggest any others u like that I didnt mention. Thanks so much!!!

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the OR 48” sky blue bar.

Nice choice for the price, adds pop and is natural looking without making the tank too purple.

The Reefbrite is definitely overpriced, but the XHO units pop more colors than the OR, maybe the leds are more of a royal blue color. The OR is a mix of blues with cyan to keep temp at 450nm.

Heres a pic of my tank with blues only on. I have two bars and really like the product

E60B7434-86E4-4A92-B634-3FC1884A3860.jpeg

Last edited:

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys looking for opinions. Going to order 2 reef bars to give blue led pop to an ati 8 bulb. Just sold my reefbrites and dont think I will be investing in those this time. Top choices are SB reef lighting sbars and orphek OR bars. Sbars are dimmable and proven performers. OR bars are not dimmable but cheaper and from a good company but not as proven. I can add a sunsetter to control the OR bars and still be cheaper by a good margin than the sbars. Thoughts? I have used reefbrite and 21led reefbar pros before and both were fine but reefbrite definitely overpriced imo and 21led dont come with brackets so have to be rigged to attach so thinking those are both out. Considered current usa truelumen but other current usa lights I've seen were quite dim and not too keen on cheap Ebay generics just not sure they are totally safe and dont want any fire hazards. So please tell me your experience with sbars or OR bars and please suggest any others u like that I didnt mention. Thanks so much!!!

Love my sbar actinics... very rugged and well built... having the option to dimm is cool too, but I havent had the need to use that option yet along with the dimmable option on the ati fixture as well... hahahaha!
8220f3f80807e4693bf9aa5b77001eea.jpg
ec01159382561ae5f4b5c4d93102d4f8.jpg
4902a41eaebec400b449b9e60aa98e63.jpg
93cd0a7f7bde306b466f96e7903132f7.jpg
eb91c1994829f022e99d6835b77be031.jpg

OP
OP
Willragan

Willragan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thx so much I'm thinking sbars. Not too purple? Usually do straight blue but I kinda like the idea of the UV doing corals some good too besides just pop.

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thx so much I'm thinking sbars. Not too purple? Usually do straight blue but I kinda like the idea of the UV doing corals some good too besides just pop.

Its pretty blue... you can see the blue on the wall... not much purple

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biomedical researchers routinely splice fluorescent proteins into living tissues and have found that 470nm light is the universal lighting source. In addition, this light (if used as the only blue light) will halt the green to red transition of proteins found in Clade D (Montastrea, Trachyphyllia, Echinophyllia, etc.)

PerplexyHexy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biomedical researchers routinely splice fluorescent proteins into living tissues and have found that 470nm light is the universal lighting source. In addition, this light (if used as the only blue light) will halt the green to red transition of proteins found in Clade D (Montastrea, Trachyphyllia, Echinophyllia, etc.)

Thats if he is using it as the only blue light... like you said

Trevor40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added an SB Reefbar to my ATI sunpower and man in it bright! I might have to use the dim option at night so it doesn't hurt my eyes. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back