Which comes first the sump or rock

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got the 90 gallon tank cleaned up and on the stand. What would be the next purchase? Sump, rock, skimmer,lights. I have a 55 with 5 fish, soft corals and hang-on-the-back equipment

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say sump, get the tank drilled and plumbed before you add anything to it
My vote as well. You don't want to have to drain everything out just to hook up your sump. If your tank is already drilled, well then you don't want to put water in it until the plumbing is completed anyway. So, sump and plumbing next.

OP
OP
M

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing is its reef ready. I was thinking rock to get my aquascape together and start the cure.

Pukani or Reef Saver?

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if it is reef ready, I still would get the sump next. Plumbing a tank is 1000x easier if there is nothing in the tank. Trust me get the all the equipment installed and set up before moving on to rock and sand.

TangingOut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do the rock and cure inside the tank. I don't know why rock inside the tank would get in the way of plumbing a reef ready tank. It's what I did while waiting for my sump to be delivered. Just fill the tank to just below the weir.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, Id do sump. I always go with live rock so I bypass the traditional "cycle" as long as I go slowly.
Im a planner too so I get everything I need theeeeen the fun stuff can happen lol
good luck!

OP
OP
M

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I grabbed a Eshopps R200 yesterday and 30lbs of rock. Getting excited

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back